Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Gurnee/Libertyville area on Sunday from 1:30pm-6:30pm. Mostly sunny; temps in the low 60's; breezy SW winds.

Met up with KoolAid, about 10 minutes after she landed a decent pike. Wish I could have gotten a pic, but the pic she took is priceless!

After we worked the spot by Rt120 we hiked to Independence Grove and worked the river there. I caught a pike of about 20"-21". Not bad. I think we caught the only 2 pike in that stretch.

And, what some people won't do to retrieve a lure out of a tree...

·
Registered
400 Posts

It's a good thing Jason was able to get that lure out of the tree before I broke my neck. Someone loaned that lure to me and I really didn't want to lose it. I believe two things: 1. if I were fishing in the middle of lake Michigan I could get my lure stuck in a tree, and 2. I must be the illegitimate child of Bill Dance. :oops:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Looks like a good time!. Great catch you two! I'm sure we all have done some crazzy things just to get a lure back! :lol:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
A nice "Day on the river".

I must say Jason you have expanded the season with the "Pike bite"

It's why we all enjoy the great info here at WCF :lol:

Well done !!!!

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CroC said:
Damm! you live in niles and you hiked to gurnee?
Yes. And boy are my feet tired. :shock:

We actually met up at rt120 and walked to IG from there - about 2.25 miles. Very nice trail and I learned all about geocaching along the way. I've got a new outdoors hobby now! Anyone got a handheld GPS for sale?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice Pike jason and karen. Those are some nice pictures, especially of that big open body of water, is that the actual lake dpr, well at least the river but looks like a big lake, I have seen it via aerial view on googleearth before.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That lake is part of the Independance Grove Forest Preserve. There is usually good fishing there and it is catch and release only. The nearest intersection is hwy 21 and 137.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ahhh the DPR trail through IG! That is a cool walk, I've done it many many times this summer.

Karen is correct - IG is a decent place to fish. There are also some bigger pike swimming in IG, along with a good amount of bass.

Nice report guys

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your caching profile does not list any caches...do you have a couple of GC codes handy?

Be careful with that cache stash; a lot of small children are digging through those containers. I would hate to see one with a hook in his hand. :shock:

Nice to see a fellow cacher out here though. I will go look for some of your caches for sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.