Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps in the low 60's!; light winds; mixed sun and clouds; fished from 3:30pm-4:45pm.

Worked the same two spots as yesterday - Dam#4 Woods East and the Touhy dam. Very first cast cot a 14" northern pike. A little later got a 13" pike. Then went by the Touhy dam and missed 1 pike. Saw his head attack the bait, but he missed it.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The expression was intentional. Kinda a "great, i caught a northern pike! but look at the size!" look.

I would certainly think other baits will work. I've been sticking with the same spinnerbait because it has produced. I have thrown a chatterbait, and an x-rap shad a few times, but nothing yet.

Up north at IG and Rt120 they hit jigs too. But the last 2 days i've been so giddy catching northern in the DPR this close to home it has been 90% the spinner bait. And time was a constraint today so it was just the spinner today.

My question is... are the northern in this area (6400 north) all the time? Or are they moving through now or what?

·
Registered
972 Posts
The northern seem to be everywhere in the DPR. I've caught them in the summer,fall and winter. If you go south and fish the Lyons dam, there are smallmouth,largemouth,walleye and even musky and of course lots of northern. The only problem in Lyons is there are a ton of bucket heads on the shore.

·
Banned
655 Posts
No Musky in that part of river.

Don't care what the creel limit signs say over there, which clearly shows Tiger Musky at least, but the DNR has never shocked up nor surveyed any in the DesPlaines... Seems like a tall-tale. :lol:

I still haven't had much luck over at that stretch. I've fished it 3 times in the past 10 days.

Right now seems to be the hibernation season for bucket-people of that area. Either they are too cold, or they migrate south for the winter..... Don't take my word for it though... :lol:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was around the Lyons dam yesterday little closer to the police station.. nothing spent over an hour there nothing... but I did find alot of spinners and crankbait all over the place along the river, kinda made up for a shitty day.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Jason you sure are in the zone. Funny i grew up near that area and in the 70s fished here and the only species caught was carp , fantastic to see pike doing well there.Is the shoreline really muddy are you wearing wading boots? Keep up the great posts. :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Its good to see the pike bite on at the river. I live like 30 seconds from touhy. Never really gave it much thought. There are lots of good spots all along there.
If the water level has been down off the shore for a while its not too muddy, but it can be bad sometimes. My buddy has slipped in before. :lol:

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The shoreline is very muddy in most spots. I just tried to find a location that was easy to work and luckily the first spot I found has produced 4 fish in 2 days. Doing some exploring with boots on would probably be a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.