Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 3:45pm-4:45pm; mostly cloudy; blustery west winds; temps in the 40's.

Picked up one 22" northern pike at the Touhy dam on a spinnerbait. Phil and his friend stopped by but his 1st pike would not happen on this day.

Good to meet ya Phil.

553 Posts
Danno said:
Nice Pike Jason! These pike are sure addictive. Never knew the Des Plaines would be such a honey hole.
Great Job on that Pike Jason! I also never knew that Des Plaines would be such a honey hole. I might head out there over the Thanksgiving Break, I just hope that it's going to be warm at least one day. :shock: :D :) :wink:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Good job on another northern Jay. I was there earlier in the day looking for that guy but he didn't like my spinnerbait as much as yours I guess.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice one jason. It sucks... i dont get a chance to get out there during daylight hours anymore. :( I would guess the fishing wouldnt be too great around 5pm and later. Plus the gates get closed early these days.

·
Registered
453 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Nice job Jay. From some of the stories I have heard, I think one of you guys is going to get a monster out of there real soon :!:
It's going to be me. :lol: ...I'll be spending a lot of time there next week.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I didn`t know they stocked the river :shock: I thought they were just naturally in there .

·
Banned
655 Posts
Pike aren't stocked in there. They naturally reproduce.

Based on the numbers, they seem to be reproducing very successfully.

Because of that, are there a lot of backwater areas on the river? Those are the ideal spawning grounds.

JORDAN58 said:
Nice pike Jay . Healthy lookin fish. Those fingerlings they stocked are getting bigger. :D wher is Hoffman dam on the DPR ?
In Lyons/ Riverside. Beware of bucket people. :lol:

I'll be in the area and wading on Sunday with a friend, chucking around the hardware.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Actually Pike were stocked in the DesPlaines a number of years ago by the IDNR. I believe that this happened a couple times too. Not in large numbers but I do recall fingerlings were stocked in a couple of areas including our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
817 Posts
JB said:
Actually Pike were stocked in the DesPlaines a number of years ago by the IDNR. I believe that this happened a couple times too. Not in large numbers but I do recall fingerlings were stocked in a couple of areas including our neck of the woods.
I remember reading about it and seeing the photos of them being stocked couple years ago. There were mostly 12" and smaller.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've been fishing the river for years and there are always multiple year classes present, mostly from natural reproduction I gather. Plenty of spawning holes up & down the river in my neck of the woods & have caught quite a few full of spawn or eggs. The number of small pike I catch tells me the pike are doing their thing just fine and there are plenty of big fish swimming around.

Alex

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.