Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished a new spot up near Rt. 60; temps in the mid 30's. light winds, mix of sun and clouds; fished from 2:30pm-4:30pm.

Quickly had one smaller pike take a few shots at my lure but missed. Action was then pretty quiet. Scoped out a new spot that looked fantastic. First cast into said spot and I land a 24" pike. Great fight with a couple of runs.

The bad news was that she swallowed the spoon and the trebble hook was lodged down the throat. I tried everything but nothing was working. I cut the line and she swam away. WOW did that suck! One of my best fish in a while and this has to happen. I guess that's part of the sport of fishing though. Still sucks. Took a pic but don't really want to post it. I'll catch another nice one and hopefully have better results getting the hook out. :|

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Glad to hear you got onto some fish and had some action. But sorry to hear about the Pike swallowing your spoon. It happens and there is nothing we can do. One thing I use to do and probably still should do is carry a pair of long angled side cutters as a 23 degree angle with a long shank. Snap-On makes the best ones that will not dull out easy and had many different designs and shapes... If it sometimes gets that bad in the Pikes Throat. I just Snip the Hooks flesh with the throat. Jaw spreaders will help and sometimes it may be easier to get into the fish's mouth/throat from the gill. I'm sure the pike you had inhaled it and would still be tough to get in with side cutters. But I just thought I would throw that out there as it has happened to me before, mostly During Ice Fishing with Tip-Ups. But I should probably start carrying them with me at all times. They do stay in my Ice Fishing Bag though. Hope this helps a bit and Thanks for the Report Jay!

I need to hit the DPR someday soon. You are kickn ass on that River!!! :D

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.