Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Des PLaines in the north suburbs today from 1:30pm-3:45pm; temps in the mid 30's; overcast; west winds to 15mph.

Started at a new spot near Willow Road and had a northern pike come up after a spinnerbait, but she missed and went away. Moved around and tied on a Little Cleo spoon and quickly got this little guy.

Shortly after I found a nice flat and casted across. Landed a nice 22" pike. Despite the horrible looking picture, he swam away perfectly.

Also worked near Dam #1 and Dam #2 with no results.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Man Work was tough the last week... sheeze... Finally i get a break. Nice Job Jason I'm looking forward to hooking into a few myself this week :D :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wish we would have tried some spoons. I have half a tackle box full of 'em from all the Kenosha fishing. Nice job Jay!

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up a bunch of spoons at BassPro on Saturday to specifically use for DPR pike. I figured the action in the current of the river could really get some pike going. So far so good.

·
Registered
400 Posts
thanks for the tip! I am going to try them so they can stop collecting dust. What size are you using?

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Jay I was out in the boat at Delavan 2 summers ago. There was a heavy algae bloom and the pike just were not hitting. My friend puts on one of his salmon spoons and nailed a few really nice pike when it appeared to be the dead sea. I also caught one of my nicer IL skies on a Cleo several years ago right before ice up. You just never know :wink:

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was using 2/5 oz gold and red yesterday. Was the only one I used. Looking forward to trying some others.

Started using spoons on the Chicago River at the Howard discharge a couple of years ago. The flutter of the spoons in the current, eddys, etc., really mimicked a disoriented or injured bait fish. When the spoons come across a current seam into slack water the results can be incredible.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Report Jason, That looks pretty cool witth the Pikes Jaw open like that! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.