Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been out lately? I'm planning on stopping by the Howard bridge on my way to work sometime this week. I've never fished around here, but I thought I'd give it a try - bass being my target.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
There's a discharge about a quarter mile up the river. There are thousands of fish hanging out over there. Mostly shad and white perch though. If you fish off the bottom you can catch cats or carp all day.

I caught a few bass out there last winter using jigs and large fathead minnows. Good luck out there.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
The Howard discharge has been one of my spots for many winters of open water fishing. Like Islandfisher says, and as i've posted in several reports, the shad are everywhere. And like Sean also says, there are a ton of white perch (yes, that is a species of fish - it does not look like the common yellow perch).

I've avoided live bait there because of all the white perch. And minnows are only sometimes successful for me - mostly for crappie (some of which can be huge!)

Twistertails and jigging spoons have been my most productive lures during the winter months there. And with the twistertails, white has always been the most productive color.

You can find the spot easily on Google maps. Just park in the Jewel parking lot and walk down the trail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.