Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11/4/07

Got out for a wade late this morning with one of my good fishing buddies. We got bored and skunked fishing my backyard river earlier in the morning so we decided to head over to the river less than 10-mins away to kill some time.

This was my first time wading the DesPlaines. It was low and very clear, so it was easy getting around the areas we fished.

One fish was caught, a deformed Sauger by my friend.

Just felt like sharing because you don't see these types of things every day. . . . :lol:. . . My friends and I call these fish deformities the "Ethiopian Fish Syndrome".... dont ask. :lol:

Besides this fish, water temps were somewhere around 50-degs or high 40's at both venues. High skies and nippy air temps made for a tough outing, but fun nonetheless. I'm hoping to head back to the DesPlaines sometime next weekend to mess around again. Bring the baitcaster and a few jerkbaits for the Pike too. :wink:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say the DesPlaines has bad water quality. If it's able to rear Walleyes and Pike, then it's pretty good - but just not for human consumption.

I've gotten word that the vertebra on fish like this sauger become deformed as small fingerling and fry when the fish are put in shock. Has nothing to do with DNR electroshocking, but more with natural causes, the habitat they're placed in and etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The other day out on busse while flipping a bass jig tipped with a minnow i got a 20'' walleye with the same type of weird messed up tail.it was a really fat walleye for 20 inches but just looked nasty.i wana post the picture and show all those people who keep busse lake walleye what your eating.let em go for other people too catch and too keep the fishery alive.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
since the subject of weird looking fish came up, check out this mutant fish i caught at axehead last year fishing for trout.

chinook jaw with catfish like smooth skin. had no scales. and check out the feet like fins. freaky!!!

anybody want to guess what on earth this thing is???

·
Registered
330 Posts
Augy said:
since the subject of weird looking fish came up, check out this mutant fish i caught at axehead last year fishing for trout.

chinook jaw with catfish like smooth skin. had no scales. and check out the feet like fins. freaky!!!

anybody want to guess what on earth this thing is???

It really does look like a mixture of a salmon and channel cat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.