Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished the demster dam on the desplains river off of campground rd. i drove by there today stoped for like 20 mins to get my line wet didn't get anything did see a local and he said he has caught bass there but i don't know if i would trust him bc he said he caught them on a worm just like mine but i had a spinner on soo

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey, watch who you dis bro :evil: Just kidding, it wasn't me, but I have fished there a few times and pulled a small northern out, thats it. I see people there all the time over the summer but never see anyone pulling anything other than their empty line.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats too bad its a nice lil area i'm still trying to find a nice spot on the river for some shore fishing i don't want to travel to far north but that seems to be the area where ppl fish this river (at least thats what i have read on fishing forums)
Thanks Topwater

·
Registered
702 Posts
spots I've wanted to try are under and around the I90/Kennedy overpass. I think if you take a bike down the dirt trails along the river you go under the expressway. On the south side of that looks from the road at 60mph to be a decent spot that probably gets little action.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I actually stopped by that spot a couple of weeks ago and talked to a guy who was fishing. He went on and on about the "great" catfish and bluegill there. :?

I have heard of northern pike in the area as well as largemouth bass. And I DO think it would be a great spot to work for some gamefish. A lot of times though, there are a guys with 3 line out working nightcrawlers and drinking beer. No big deal to me, but like I say, i'd love to really work that spot for some "real" fish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My condo overlooks said spot (dempster and river) and I've never actually seen anyone pull anything out of there. I use the spot to test out new gear, but other than that, I go to one of the small lakes in the area. Its a shame because it takes me 2 minutes to walk there, but it's definately not like Dam 1 or 2 upstream. I have yet to throw some chicken livers or stinkbait out there, so I have no idea what the catfish situation is. There are good areas to fish around there, so I wouldn't go there unless its the open of trout season where Axehead and Bellue are crowded.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys i'll have to give the kennedy overpass a try i'll prob give it a few trys to see if it is anything good i hope it is

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've now worked that spot a few times and am finally having luck fishing above the dam. There are some giant carp jumping around the underpasses. I was testing out a new spinner that I just got and caught a LM above the dam. I looks like the bass are picking off baitfish about to go over the dam. I tossed out some more spinners and caught some nother LM that followed the spinner from across the river. Not the fattest fish, but much healthier than I expected for the DP river. The prime pike spot seems inaccessable from the shore unless you can cast 75 yards to the pipes accross the street below the dam. I wish i had a kayak to get to that area because I've seen pike around those tunnels.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the tip. The only place that I've ever fished the DesPlaines River was up by the dam by Palwaukee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts