Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a recommendation on a digital scale? The Cabela's digital received some bad reviews. The Berkley Boga-grip with the digital scale looks promising. What about the Rapala? I don't want to spend much more than $30. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have had the Berkley for several years and have been quite happy with it. Don't expect a $20 to be as accurate as a Boca though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toothdoc said:
I have had the Berkley for several years and have been quite happy with it. Don't expect a $20 to be as accurate as a Boca though.
Thanks Doc. I'm leaning towards the Berkley. LOL- I know they won't be as good as the Boca Grips. Boca Grips are awesome but I can't justify the cost. I'm just hoping whatever I get is somewhat reliable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
my brother just bought a rapala digital scale it seems decent but we havent caught anything to weight with it so i wish i could be of more help

but those boca grips do look sweet they are wat like $50 right?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The Boca brand is over $100 I believe. They are usually rated the best for a reason, but I could never justify the cost either. I think that the Berkley is a good alternative that doesn't break the bank.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a berkley digital scale. It isn't a grip style, just a little hook on it. It weighs to fifty pounds, is pretty damn accurate, and wasn't more than 20 or 30 bucks. I think it's plenty good enough for most things you need to weigh.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I forget the brand that I was using at the tournies, but it is pretty nice. It puts a death grip on the fish, so no worries about them flopping off the hook. The only issue is that to be completely accurate I have to zero it b/w fish. I'll take a look at it later to find out what model it is.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Well I ordered it, no more guessing for me! The lipper gripper is accurate enough that you can send it to the igfa(they keep the fish records) for calibration and then its accurate enough to weigh official records.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
svslider said:
Well I ordered it, no more guessing for me! The lipper gripper is accurate enough that you can send it to the igfa(they keep the fish records) for calibration and then its accurate enough to weigh official records.
You are 100% correct. I have the Boga Grip and they say it is more accurate than any digital scale as a digital scale can be inacurate over time. The Lipper Gripper is the same as the Boga Grip. Totally worth the money! Accurate as can be! :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a Rapala 50# scale. i don't know how accurate it is or not. its accurate enough for me. it was only like $25 when i first bought it. Opened it up and it didn't work so when I exchanged it (at BPS) after it had went on sale for like $19. so for not much money at all, its pretty cool. would like to have one with a gripper though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Rapala digital here.. very accurate and battery life is great.. great way to test it is when at the checkout lane kindly ask the cashier to weigh one of your grocery bags on their scanner and then test it to see if it matches with your fishing scale.. mine matched to the ounce!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I have one, a Rapala I think. I used it once or maybe twice, it was accurate from what I remember, although I found it more hassle than what it was worth- it's been collecting dust somewhere in my basement for a few years now.

I'm not worried so much about size/weight of what I catch anymore. It is what it is and they are what they are, I have no need to impress anyone with that info these days. To each their own though I suppose.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
It is what it is and they are what they are, I have no need to impress anyone with that info these days.
Amen to that bro. I stopped weighing fish after my PB LMB at Skokie Lagoons years ago. 6.75 lbs. 22.5" long. I figure there's no way I'll ever do better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.