Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Diversey Saturday morning from 7-9am. Overcast skies, a little wind, and it was cool out. Started out on the NW side of the harbour and worked the docks and between the boats. Was using a berkley powerworm, pumpkinseed, with a drop shot about a foot above the hook.

Caught 3 LM bass between 11-13", but then....tossed my lure out to the edge of some weeds and right away I saw a big one snatch it. Set the hook, fought it out from under a boat, and watched it jump once. This was easily the biggest bass I've ever had on my line, somewhere close to 20", in the 3-4lb range.

Anyway, anyone who fishes Diversey knows there's about 2-2.5 ft. of clearance between the water, and the shoreline along the docks...I grabbed my line with my bare hand to haul up the fish, but snap, splash, gone. I never got a chance to hold it. Oh man I was pissed. I was using 6lb Stren line, so I guess that's about right that it broke off.

I just ordered a telescopic net from Cabelas, that's relatively small, and easy to carry around. So hopefully that will be the solution to my problem.

I'll be back...

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Nice fish, those LM smallies sure are fat one's compared to what you'll find in most other bodies of water :D A net definitely will help with your catch rate along the lakefront. 1st year I fished the lakefront was without a net, year 2 I wouldn't go unless I had one :) Most places there is a 5ft+ drop from the wall to the water, north end of diversey is one of the shorter walls. That cabela's telescoping net should relieve you of having to do any hand lining :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.