Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to tell a tail of this magnitude as most would not believe the fun we had and the things we learned from Dan & Matt of DLF Rods.

The four of us left IL on time and with in 4.5 hrs we landed at the shop of DLF to find a yard full on wild life. Mark and Dom from MN were right behind us and ready to learn the fine art of rod building. After choosing our rod blanks it was time for hands on instruction with just a short chat on how to find the spine and setting it up for the wrap.

All of us worked on our new skill until the dinner bell rang, dinner was some excellent Italian beef from Bari's Beef from Chicago along with homemade potato salad made by Dan's wife Karen and frosted brownie for desert. The group worked till 10 with tired eyes and sore fingers it was time to head to the Holiday Inn for a good nights rest.

Day two was only a half day to wrap up loose ends and install handles and clear coat on our new rods.
Here are a few pictures from our first DLF-MWA rod build class.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p283 ... e445e4.pbw

Watch for the Chicago rod building class in the spring of 2009

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bucketmouth4 said:
Pretty cool, I really would like to build my own rod. Can't wait to hear
about a class in IL.
The class will be held in Kingston just up the road from you in April.

I will be putting up a poll to see who would like to come. The class size will be held to around 15 do to the size of my barn for this two day class.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That looks like it was a great time! Did you get to wrap the eyes and fisnish the rods too?

Count me in for the class here.

I need to get a job like that, where I can be in my shorts and bare feet to work!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Killerpigeon said:
bucketmouth4 said:
Pretty cool, I really would like to build my own rod. Can't wait to hear
about a class in IL.
The class will be held in Kingston just up the road from you in April.

I will be putting up a poll to see who would like to come. The class size will be held to around 15 do to the size of my barn for this two day class.
i would totally be up for that. i have a nice g'loomis blank im going to work on this winter. i have a power wrapper and cant wait to do it. i have practiced a little on other rods throughout the year that i have had guides come out on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your interested in rod building no need for a class unless you feel the need. There are some good websites with alot of good people that will guide you through every step of your build.

Heres a rod i just built, its a split grip spinning rod medium power fast action.

This is a cool little wrapping effect i learned how to do just by asking questions and a little research

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thats a sweet lokking rod. I want to get into building a few rods, I just don't have any of the stuff to do it. Where do you get your supplies? I found a place to order, but I was hoping to find a place local.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Theres a place called Corens rod and reel in chicago. Just north of 90 off of harlem do a search to get exact address. They dont have everything you need but you can get all your epoxys and guides and you can order blanks from him too as well as reel seats. I order through a couple different places online. Mudhole is good, also Janns Netcraft. You can get everything you need from those places, shipping kills though.

You are also going to need a wrapper and a thread tensioner. I built both of those with scrap wood and a trip to the hardware store. Go to Rodbuildingforum.com and look around though the different forums you will be able to get alot of answers to questions that you may have.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I bought my drying motor from Mudhole, i think it is 9 or 10 rpm it was somewhere around 12 bucks. I made the mount with some scrap wood along with my wrapper. Im sure if you did some looking around locally you should be able to find something that will work, ive heard of people using rotisserie motors from bbq grills, they are loud but work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got the catalog from Mudhole about a week ago. I think I have gone through it cover to cover at least a dozen time now. Where do you get your blanks from? I was going to order a Mudhole blank, but I don't know how good they are. Is there a way to contact manufacturers directly? I really like some of the Allstar rods, but I would only want the blanks.

Hey Lip, we should get together sometime and wrap some rods. I didn't know you had the stuff to do it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Only certain companys sell there blanks, to name a few, St. Croix, G-Loomis, Lamiglass. Those are going to be more expensive. The blank i used for my spinning rod was a Batson Rainshadow RX7 blank. Batson is the company and i did some research before i chose a blank and i have heard nothing but good about them especially there customer support. I believe the RX7s have a lifetime warranty. They also have a line called forecast which are RX6 blanks they they are also very good blanks with a good price tag and i think there waranty is 2 or 3 years. Batsons RX8 models are what Kisler uses on there lighter then air rods, but they are quite expensive. I'm on my second build, the first spinning rod was 45 bucks and now the casting rod im building was 35 bucks. Not to bad in my opinion.

Go to Rodbuildingforum.com and look around or join, ask questions. There are alot of good rodbuilders on that site with a wealth of information. They will be able to help you with whatever you need.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I will have to look at Mudhole's site again, I don't recall any of their motors that cheap. Maybe I just overlooked them though.

BucketMouth- I don't have all the stuff yet, just been building my workshop little by little to give rod building a try. I've really only practiced the wrappings, haven't "finished" anything yet.

Made my own thread tensioner- nothing fancy, just an old mouse trap rigged to hold a spool of thread, and built my own wrapping stand (I need to redo it though, I'm not happy with the "V"s).

I guess I should get on the ball, I started into this over a year ago... haven't gotten very far yet. :oops:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.