Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a fishing site but if anyone is interested We have a red Bone **** Hound that is 18 months old about 80lbs. in great health that we are looking to find a new home for. He's a great dog but its not fare to him to be locked in the house all day while we're at work. He is obedence trained ,he would make a great hunting dog but i dont hunt. would like to find someone that can spend more time outdoors with him he needs it. We'll miss him but it not fare to keep him cooped up in the house when he needs to be out running. If your interested pm me or email me [email protected] Thanks Pat P.S. we have all his papers.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
man i really wish i could but we had to get rid of our dogs because of the baby. always wanted a hunting type of dog too. good luck finding him a good home and make sure he'll be taken care of. too many loons out there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is one of the hardest things I've had to do We love the dog but he needs more attention than we can give him He needs to be outdoors not kept in the house all day its not fare to him.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
I'm sure this is very tough on you and your family, Pat. I've been in a similar situation.

4 years ago a co-worker found a beagle in a garbage can and I took it to a shelter I was doing freelance work for. There was NO way I could take this dog because I lived in a 3rd floor apartment and worked all day long. Plus, I had a cat who would never accept this animal in the house.

As I type this, my beagle is sleeping on the couch next to my cat and is a very happy little girl. And i'm the happiest beagle daddy in the world. Yes, she should be running in a field somewhere, but gets so much love here and I can't imagine not having her.

I'm sure this is an agonizing decision for you and your family. But just wanted to let you know a success story from someone who was in a similar situation - me.

And if you still want to find a home for the pooch, please feel free to post as often as you like on this site to do so. Myself and the others here will help as much as we can.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was also in a similar situation. I rescued a German Shepherd last year. I knew the owners' sister and the owners were going to put it down if it didn't find a home soon. I already have a Shepherd, and was considering keeping this one, but it was just way too big. This was the biggest dog I've ever seen and it was 135 lbs. at about 10 months old! It was too much for me to handle, but I ended up giving it to my neighbor. He has a big yard and runs with him everyday. Anyways, I'll ask some people if they would be interested and I'd be more than willing to help out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the way this has made my family feel,we decided to give it a better try I'm going to get up at 5:00 instead of 5:30 and take him for a run. My wife is going to come home for lunch and take him ouit then we are all going to take him out in the evening and at night. When summer gets here he'll be out alot more with me on the boat and at the trailer I hope this works out we really do want to keep him. I tahnk everyone for their thoughts and I hope you get to see him with me this summer. Pat

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sounds like a happy ending Pat..

Glad to hear the pup is still with you.

Our golden passed this past summer, she was 13.
About 2 months prior we got a second golden puppy to help with the transition.

Best thing we ever did.

Now the new one is 9 months and 75 pounds.

Training is coming along, she is smart as a whip.

Funny thing, we attended a dog training seminar over the weekend.
They said don't treat the dog as if they were human, they will believe it.

Too late.

She gets the kids up, plays nicely with them...
She helps put the kids down, then sleeps with us.

With the Wife and kids, she is very good but tolerates them for obedience.
She only listens to me. :wink:

I'll have to post some pics.

Again, glad to hear the pup stayed at home..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great responses guys, we are going to a dog behaviorist tomorrow that our vet recomended, Hope it will help. But in the meantime I have been taking him over to the tennis courts at Maine South and letting him run for about an hour,it seems to have made him alot calmer,I'll have to post some pictures of him running its great. He has been much better this week. Eric from Redashlodge.com says if I do decide to find him a home he has a friend in southern Illinois that hunts and has a farm that would be willing to take him but I hope he stays right here with us. Again Thanks for all support and i look forward to fishing with you guys.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not to pile on at the end here, but he is a puppy still. He has alot of energy. I think by doing what you are doing - he's getting the exercise he needs to stay fit and happy and is responding better to you now. Dog walkers might be a decent service. They will stay as long as you pay them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.