Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to twin lakes once again today, with the impression that it would be nice and warm, in the 50's. When I got there, it was the total opposite- lots of wave action, constant 20 mph winds, and the temperatures combined with the freakin wind felt like it was 30! :evil:
Nevertheless, I got a couple of casts in with a ratltrap and several with a daiwa peanut, but it seemed like the lake was totally DEAD today. There was also another guy throwing some pretty hefty lure on a musky rod. Was he targeting the tigers? After today, which was the 5th skunk in a row on this lake, I'm starting to have my doubts about whether this lake is going to produce this year. :? :(
Anybody else had luck here this week?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Yeah, I iced fished it last year late in the season and it was the dead sea... Not a cold water lake at all... Wait a few weeks and this little spot should turn around for the better... - BPM

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, Jim, I'd like to ask what have been the good colors for bass here? Me and another fisherman last year were talking last year, and he showed me some black powerbait nightcrawlers, which he said just slayed the bass. I, on the other hand have had good luck with purple. Have you had luck with similar colors?

·
Registered
213 Posts
HSFish:

I saw your other thread about featureless lakes, so I'm assuming that this thread overlaps with it. So I'll make connections between what posters have made in that thread and Donut Lake:

At Donut Lake there are a bunch of different structural elements.

Start at the northwest bend by the volleyball nets:
Sandy bottom with some big rocks, sharp drop off, and large weed-bed.

As you move south you'll see a pipe that occasionally pumps water into the lake:
This marks a transition from sand to rocky bottom near-shore. There is still a sharp drop off and the weed-bed continues to parallel to the shoreline.

If you continue south, you'll run into the patio:
This marks a transition back to a sandy bottom, with the patio providing shade and the large weed-bed still still extending parallel to the shore about 15' out.

If you walk across the patio you'll get to:
A sandy beech area with docks and a sharp drop off. The weeds are less pronounced here, but you can see game fish cruising the immediate drop-off with small pan-fish relating to the sandy bottom in 2'.

The docks are great to fish for bass. I like to use tubes and senkos here.

As you continue south you'll encounter another transition:
There are concrete blocks in the water with a steep drop-off. The weed-bed has ended back at the patio area. This is a good area for bass fishing. I think that the prey species is primarily crayfish here.

Then you'll get to another corner with the rip-rap:
This is inaccessible, although you can make long casts parallel to this structure.

Then you'll get to the first fishing dock:
There are fish cribs around there, and you can cast parallel to the shore in both directions.
--

So...even though the lake is basically a pit with a ~20' featureless bottom, there's a myriad of transitions and features for shore fishermen. This doesn't even include the biggest edge the lake offers: the surface. Since the water is so clear, fish can see topwater presentations from way down.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Great post collie!

It's still very early in the season. Donut Lake is a smaller lake with lots of activity surrounding it. It's also fairly clear. Fish spook easily under these conditions.

Don't give up here. You'd be VERY surprised at the fish that can be had from this lake.

·
Registered
356 Posts
H.S.,I have had success with purple power bait worms,I also like shallow cranks
over the rocks .Early in the spring I would keep it slow with either live bait,
(crawlers or XL fatheads) but once the water warms up I had a blast with the
crankbaits, bluegill color worked best for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.