Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to Washington Island located in Door County, WI between Christmas and New Years. I know that there will be semi open water in Detroit Harbor because of ferry traffic. Are there any types of fish that can be caught up there this time of year?

I am guessing that the perch won't be that far north. I heard browns are in harbors from fall to spring but don't know if they are that far up north. Below is a map just in case anyone doesn't know where Door County is. Washington Island is located just North east of the tip of the peninsula

Thanks!

P.S. Hey Doc where do you fish when your in DC in the winter?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Island, with the warm weather I would have to say that you are going to have to fish open water. There should be browns and perch available. My brother catches perch through the ice in the bay of Green Bay all winter. Last year when I was up there over New Year's I ice fished Kangaroo Lake and just caught some panfish. This year I am going up over New Year's again and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do. I'm probably going to bring stuff for open water though.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I've heard of some GREAT northern pike and smallmouth bass up there.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It is indeed a great place for smallies and northerns, probably almost as good as Canada. The problem is that this is not the best time of year to catch them near shore.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've caught some really nice small mouth up there. There are nice northerns; but the smallies are easier to find.

I recently purchased an old 14 foot aluminum boat that I leave up there. I can't wait to spend summer days in detroit harbor hunting bass! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Doc, you may be able to throw spoons and soak spawn and get browns. If the harbor is not froze over I imagine they are up there. If you find any tributaries you may also want to try for some eyes. I hear they are much more plentiful on that side of the lake.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
You're right about the spoons Matt, but as far as tributaries go, there really aren't any. Walleyes can be found in the Bay of Green Bay if it's not too cold to go out in a boat.

That boat sounds perfect for Detroit Harbor Sean. I want to get up there a couple of times next year and fish for smallies and northerns.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me before you go up there. You can use my boat whether I'm up there or not. Just let me know :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
sean, i guess you chose the right profession for someone who's fishing. the entire summer off of work. sweeeet!!

dam, i should of been a teacher. i could teach kids the fine art of karoake! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can say that again Augy. I'm looking forward to my two week Christmas break. I'm going to try to fish at least once a day possibly excluding Christmas. (unless santa brings me the St Croix 6' fast action jigging rod. . . . . . . .)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FishinMatt said:
Doc, you may be able to throw spoons and soak spawn and get browns. If the harbor is not froze over I imagine they are up there.
I know of a place with open water and am planning on trying for browns. However, I'm new to trout fishing. What exactly is soak spawn? Would you put that on a spoon and cast it or bait it separately on another hook?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i think he simply means to use spawn. soak...as in soak something in water...soak spawn. but what do i know. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I believe that Matt is referring to simply placing some spawn on a hook under a bobber. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Soak spawn" that makes sense (I'm a dumbass). I think I'll give it a go with spawn and roaches and see what works better.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Yeah, just putting them on the bottom or under a float :p If there are any baitshops around, frozen alwives can be good for winter browns also. I am actually heading out in about an hour to soak some spawn 8)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good luck Matt! I'm looking forward to your report.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts