Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit up the dpr today looking for a big pike. A little birdie confirmed that the spot I was going to was good and when I got there the birdie was already there fishing! Basscaster pointed out pike central and that was the last I saw of him. I was using my baitcaster with 50 lb power pro and a 15lb knotable stainless leader and a orange and green perch patterned spinner.
I was fishing a backwater area with tons of trees in the water. It took awhile but finally I had a fish make repeated strikes after casting right next to a brushpile. A couple casts later and my season skunk is over, it was a nice little 1.5 lb pike. It had a big war wound towards its tail where it had been bitten too. I was on my bike and I would up leaving my bike and stuff and walking pretty far. I walked all across the floodplain and wound up lost :shock: It took a few mile of walking and a circle or 2 before I finally found my stuff again LOL SO in short order I nail a tree pretty hard and explode my spinnerbait- it went flying but the knot on my leader was still intact? So I retie a leader and retie a spinner and first cast I get it into a tree out in the water and break it off trying to pull it in. SO I decide to ride my bike into the river to get the lure :roll: I got out there and got it back! and in the process I stirred up a big and I saw its swirl. So I ride back to shore and decide I have to get out there to get the pike. I got my feet wet and walked out to a downed tree and used that as a casting platform. I could see about 5 pike all around, I dunno if they were breeding but 2 were swimming side by side, I also saw one or 2 bigger ones. I was finally having lots of fun fishing this year! Off this log I got one more at 2 lbs. Eventually I lost 2 spinners in a row in some trees and Im going back tomorrow with some waders to get them back and get a big pike.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Nice to meet you SVslider. I had 2 on..... but both got off :evil:

It was to muddy up north so I headed south past the rock wall.

Glad to hear you got on a few pike :lol:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a camera- just waiting for a pic worthy fish. Probably good too because I fell down landing the first fish lol. I brought a camera once before and I caught my biggest bass( still havent got that posted tho) I think cameras bring good luck.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
svslider said:
I brought a camera once before and I caught my biggest bass( still havent got that posted tho)
Congrats on the pike you crazy monkey! LOL, riding ur bike into the water, snagging trees! You crazzy man!!! :lol:

Lets see that pic!!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back to the same spot today. The water was 6 inches lower, this spot is a backwater and prolly dry land usually. I went wading for the first time ever after buying some boots at lees. It was kinda mucky but I never sank too deep. I got my 2 spinners I lost yesterday out of the trees. And when I went to the sweet spot tree right away from shore a pike swam right up to me in under 6 inches water facing me, I stood still. I think she was saying- not today. I waded alot in the trees, it felt like I was in a bayou.
I got skunked. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.