Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off this is a great site and I'm glad I found it.

Anyways I was out looking for little lakes near my house hoping to find a spot not covered in goose crap or garbage and I ran across Dam #1. I was wierded out by all the parked cars with the creepy dudes obviously there for other reasons, but the river seems like a decent spot. I'm having a hard time finding the other dams and there doesn't seem to be a website, can somebody tell me where the other ones are at? Also if there are other spots people know of that aren't top secret I'd appreciate the info. Mostly looking for bass but wouldn't mind landing a pike or 3. Any advice on what to throw or possible things to look out for?

One last thing, this probably belongs on another thread but is there a number for DNR that I can call when I see people keeping stuff they shouldn't? I'm pretty new to fishing but it still pisses me off when I see bass strung up when they are too small to take home. I'm 1 for 2 in getting people to let them go.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I found a lot of spots using Google Maps. Scroll up and down the river looking for places with parking and a fish-able shoreline. Any bridge or creek is worth checking out.

Dam #2 is between Lake and Central. There's a dam in downtown Des Plaines, a spillway off of Big Bend Lake, and Dam #4 is south of there - I think near Axehead Lake. There is no dam #3 (right?).

I got on a decent bass pattern one summer by accident while fishing for pike. I'd fish above a dam and cast white inline spinnerbaits parallel to the overflow, as close as I could without it going over. The bass would be hiding behind anything that blocked the current flow and strike out at whatever passed by. I think they were preying on fish that were struggling in the current and trying not to go over the dam. The inline spinnerbaits worked well because the current kept the blades spinning and I could keep the lure where I wanted by just barely reeling it in. Other than that, I can't say I've gotten into bass on the DPR.

1. A DNR anti-poaching number should be on your license.
2. A lot of the people park in forest preserves during their lunch breaks and are reading, eating, or just people and nature watching. If I would caution you in any way, it's about going into isolated areas by yourself because of the slim chance of getting robbed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.