Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished in the rain for a hour, quite a few hits but to lite to even set the hook.

Almost managed one nice one about 2 feet out from the shore line. Grab the spinnerbait right as I pulled it out of the water, but let go.. Dragged the spinner around a bit more, and he proceeded to hit it about 3 more times.. He was an aggressive one. Just couldn't manage to hook him, probably my lack of hook setting skills was at fault but im saying he just wasn't grabbing it right. He had the whole thing sideways in his mouth, yet when I tried to set the hook it just pulled out.
Worse part, 2 feet from shore! In about 2 feet of water I could see the whole drama play out, but was hella cool to watch him stalk and hit the spinner. Really seems like there getting more aggresive down there.

And, yes it was the magic red/white spinner bait.. Found where I could by them in bulk for a buck a piece. I almost had the spinner for my whole trip, but on my last cast the end half of the rod decided to go for nice long leap into the river. Tried to wade and find it, but no luck.
Any one have a extra half of a Ugly Stick?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Oh no!! You lost half your fishin pole? That sucks!! But, yeah, maybe after you get another half an ugly stik you should try puttin trailer hooks on all your buzzbaits and spinnerbaits. Better luck next time dude, sorry to hear that!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
but on my last cast the end half of the rod decided to go for nice long leap into the river.
LOL I've been there before. That's when you hope that you can still reel it back with the lure intact. Sorry to hear ya lost it.....sucks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yea I was in the rain as well. Pretty chilly right, especially with that wind.

Sorry to hear about your rod.

But yea,Like junglejim stated. You might wanna add a stinger to your spinner-bait.

You will get em next time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well get this, I actually did buy some stinger hooks, time to start using them,
Thanks for the advice guys! And at least ugly sticks are not that expensive. Maybe when the water gets low again ill be able to find it.
I will now start checking my 2 piece rods to make sure there still stuck together after every few casts.

I just love watching those pike hit the lure like it did, if you look close you can actually see a few of them swimming in the river close to the top every once in a while.

Hopefully Ill be able to try for a bit of revenge soon, I know where he hides now.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Sorry about your rod Danno. That happened to me once too with an Ugly Stik. I knew the top piece was loose on the cast but was too lazy to fix it. A pike smashed the buzzbait at the boat, snapped me off, and the top end of the rod flew over my head into the lake :oops:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I too enjoy watching pike strike my bait. I've had more hits and misses on the DPR with pike than any other place. I think it has to do with the clarity of the water and the bad eye sight of the fish.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
To bad about the rod. Time for a one piece, and epoxy any other two piece rods together! lol

LOL! True.. You figure I would know better buy now to check after a few casts that the rods are still snugged to gether.

I was actually thinking about super gluing them together!

Oh, well, at least ugly sticks are not that expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.