Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try fishing DPR in the DES plaines area but have never fished it before. Just wondering if there is anything I should know before trying it out. What kind of fish can be pulled outta there and are there certain places to look for when fishing this river. Thanks guys!!!

Jake

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
If you look at the past reports a lot of people pull out some really nice Northern's. I've just started fishing the river myself but I haven't caught anything, yet. I live near Grand and River road. There's about 3 spots I know of by me where I'm get near the lake and fish. Some people have also caught walleye too. I've been using mostly spinners but I got a few x-raps last night I'm going to out and give them a shot later.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Fallen trees and rocks are a good start. Anything disrupting the current. There are good spots every 50 feet all along those stretches. I have fished a bunch of random places along the DP/PR strech and dealing with the shore conditions is way more difficult than catching fish. I would suggest some waterproof boots, because sinking 12" into the mud where you are standing is not uncommon. And bring some bug spray. They are rediculous already and will be getting worse.

Btw, this all applies to pike fishing. If your looking for anything else you may want to try farther south. But dont take my word for it, get out there and check it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never caught pike before. Usually I am just trying for bass. So basically the dpr is mostly pike fishing up near wheeling and DES plaines. I've never caught anything with some serious chompers before. I just get bored fishing the small lakes and ponds around here so I figured the river would be fun to switch it up. What about damns are they any good to fish near?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I have never heard of an LMB being caught on the stretch by DesPlaines, but maybe they are in there. I have only caught pike, and only seen the one rockbass my buddy got last year on a pike lure.

As for the dams, above is better than below for me. I dont really know much about rivers in general though. Just the DP due to it being a minute from my house.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Basically what twoglasseyes said. Yeah there are largemouth, crappie, walleyes, cats, carp and panfish. Just from reading the previous posts in your area the best bet is the pike. Lots of people throw spinnerbaits, swimbaits, floating rapalas and xraps or just drift a roach. Although the various species exist in that river the primary predator seems to be the pike. If you are looking for the cats I suggest drifting a chicken liver. Carp you want to fish off the bottom with whole sweet corn. If you are focusing on the panfish maybe a crawler or waxie would do the trick. With the smaller species the trick is to think small. Light line 4lb test with size 8 hook at most. As you increase in size your focus will be larger fish.
I see the occasional largie but to focus on them exclusively will probably result in a slow day.

For the most action I would probably lean towards cats and carp. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Also if theres no good fishing, theres alot of lakes in the area all along the river. It seems like a fertile area from thousands of years of river deposits and stuff. If you can find any pond near the river they could be great fishing.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Great question and great replies. Yes, the DPR is northern pike water - at least from Rosemont all the way north.

There are indeed largemouth bass in there, but not common. Also crappie, rock bass, catfish, (again from Rosemont north)

Rudy (twoglasseyes) summed it up real well. Find the classic river spots (current breaks, fallen timber, rocks, eddies, any structure, fallouts, etc., and there are northern pike.

Throw some spinnerbaits. They seem to really work well.

Look back on the many posts here and you will find all sorts of helpful information.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i fish along river rd and irving near franklin park. Pike seem to be the active fish near there. If you park by irving and walk along the bike path there are great spots. Fallen trees and so on. I have luck with crank baits for the pike. Goodluck out there and remember to bring a knife and or mace!

·
Registered
560 Posts
ita not always that bad, But there are times you come across strange fellows and a lot of them. I am the size of a linebacker and I had some thugs mess with me as well as angry homeless people. It makes fishing exciting!! what makes me mad is when I see women jogging alone in there with their headphones on. I wanna tell them are you crazy! I would def bring protection because the police do not go in there. The cook county forest preserves are marshal law!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to chime in because I'm rather new as well.... just picked up this fun hobby/sport a couple of months ago. Believe it or not, I haven't caught a Bass to date anywhere, but I have caught three Pike in the Des Plaines (all in a weekend). I'm not trying to toot my horn, but I spent about four weekends there with not a single bite before the trifecta. Just remember, look for breaks in the current like mentioned before (fallen trees, etc.). You can sometimes see whirlpools that form in certain parts, where the fast water cuts with slow moving water near the shore. I fished several green crankbaits through there that go about 6" deep and that seemed to work. As for spinner baits, I've seen a pike go after the spoon and not the white lure. Oh well.

And also, give the post regarding proper Pike handling a read if you've never caught one. Best to have all your tools laid out if you do catch one.

Cheers and good luck!!!
Gabe

·
Registered
67 Posts
The DPR can be alot of fun at night. Get some chicken liver and some trebble hooks and the fun begins. Many nights in the summer me and my buddies will catch 20-30 channel cats in a night. They dont seem to get much bigger than about 4 lbs. There are some good size carp which everyone hates but I love to catch em. Hard fighters. If you make some wheeties dough bait you cant keep them off your line. Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.