Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a dry suit for winter kayak fishing. Any recommendations?

~JOE~

·
Registered
251 Posts
Some ice fishing bibs are waterproof and will keep you afloat for 2 hours
Striker and Clam I think

·
Registered
431 Posts
Waders filled with 34° water will get you killed before you can make it back to safety.
Depends how far is the safety.

I wear waders in the winter. They keep me dry and fishing smaller to medium rivers I am not too concerned about getting back to safety.

If I fished bigger water I would probably reconsider.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where I’m fishing now the shoreline can be some distance away. Factor in cold and panic and that ratchets it up quite a bit. The ice fishing bibs could be an option but I would assume those would fill with water too. I’ll have to look in to those as well. Never considered them.

~JOE~

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What size are you looking for? I have a kokatat drysuit that i haven't used in a couple of years. Seals should be good but I can check when I get home later.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess a large. I’m 5’9 175 lbs. I imagine I will need some type of warm clothes underneath for colder air temps. Winter temps here are upper 30s early then usually warm up to around 50.

Oh and did you just happen to check the site or have you been secretly lurking because you haven’t posted in a very long time? I always liked your Hobie posts. I have 2 Revos now.

~JOE~

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I guess a large. I’m 5’9 175 lbs. I imagine I will need some type of warm clothes underneath for colder air temps. Winter temps here are upper 30s early then usually warm up to around 50.

Oh and did you just happen to check the site or have you been secretly lurking because you haven’t posted in a very long time? I always liked your Hobie posts. I have 2 Revos now.

~JOE~
Oh it will totally fit you. The only question mark would be the neck as I trimmed the neck gasket. Gaskets are in good shape.
I still lurk around just to keep up with everyone. All my hobies are long gone though. Life has been something else the last couple of years. Fishing used to be something I could do and it would take my brain off of everything. 10 hours could go by and I could have sworn I’d only been out there for an hour or 2. I’m getting back slowly but still working through some stuff.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered some military long underwear, military wool pants and shirt. So that should be good for cold as long as I don't get soaked. If the cost isn’t outrageous and shipping to North Carolina isn't an issue maybe we can work it out.

Send me a pm or post it here. No hurry water temps here are low eighties still.

~JOE~

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I ordered some military long underwear, military wool pants and shirt. So that should be good for cold as long as I don't get soaked. If the cost isn’t outrageous and shipping to North Carolina isn't an issue maybe we can work it out.

Send me a pm or post it here. No hurry water temps here are low eighties still.

~JOE~
Let's make this easy and call it $100 plus shipping. I can't imagine that it would be anymore than $20...$25 tops

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That’s a way good price.

Which model is your dry suit? I would like to look it up on their website to see what it looks like. Will I be able to layer up clothing underneath it? My winter time air temps are upper 30s at the lowest.

~JOE~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts