Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just a quick report on the last two days that I've been able to get out and fish the local ponds. I've noticed that the rain we've had several days ago still have a hold on the clarity in general. Chocolate milk is being served regularly......

Usually I prefer fishing the rivers but with the influx of rain, I stayed clear until those swollen systems shrink a bit.

This early in the season I am bound by the fathead and slip bobber offering and with out it I probably would have come up short. Even so I can't say the response was fast and furious, the fact that I offered a little live bait helped none the less. I ran side by side with artificials and came up with a complete 0 on artificials.

The first pic is a nice surprise considering this pond seems to have an abundance of stunted crappies. The crappie swiped at the minnow as I was retrieving it, at first it looked like a bass. I was just happy to get a response since the rest of the afternoon produced a smaller crappie and a couple of lost fish with the twister.

Right around 6 pm he decided to break lose. I'm convinced this guy was put in the pond by someone rather then it gaining that size on it's own in this pond.

Today I headed on out to the Joliet/Plainfield area which holds it's fair share of subdivision ponds. I really enjoy getting out to the area since there are so many ponds that hold a variety of fish. Although the pressure is similar to ponds in my area (Darien) the fish are a bit more resilient (sp?).

Again I worked the slip bobber and patience prevailed fishing the TURBID water.

I put alot of time into an area that didn't provide a whole lot of response. Usually I'm one to move around if I don't find some action with in the first 15 minutes. The only problem with that is when I did so I had alot of 15 minute stints that surfaced absolutely nothing. Headed back to this spot and worked a while longer with a couple of slow bites that I missed. I always have to remember to give the fish a few more seconds in the spring to take the minnow. It seems that they are lip it a bit longer in the spring.
At the end of the day I worked my way over to a shallow corner of the north side of the pond. I was hoping that the temps did their magic in warming it up a bit and with in seconds managed a combo that was rare for the day as a whole.

After all was said and done I caught 3 bass and missed a couple crappie aside from those in the pics.

The beauty of the bass pic was that I saw a swirl close to shore. I cast towards it and a split second later the bass had taken the bobber down. I was pleasantly surprised at the quick reaction the fish had to the offering. I was still shocked that he was working the shoreline this early.
I'm looking forward to the following weekends as the temps improve and artificials prevail. I've still got tomorrow so with some luck this post will be extended. :D

See you on the water,

JB

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as a follow up I finished the weekend off with a bang of sorts. I went to a pond at a subdivision I frequent hoping I may find some active bass. Followed the text book and fished the north shore with winds blowing lightly at it. It didn't hurt that the shoreline has a shallow shelf the fish find enticing when shaking off the winter cold. It took a bit to find them but for awhile it was consistent bite with a couple nice ones thrown in like this guy below.

Later in the day I started throwing my swimbait after seeing some surface activity that indicated the final bite was on. As I was working the shoreline I dragged the swimbait over the back of what turned out to be an insane battle. This fish ran the drag for a good ten minutes it seemed and never surfaced. I hoped that it wasn't a carp but knew that the fight it put up could not have been from any normal bass. Part of me hoped that it was my PB but for some reason this guy was too much a fighter and heavy to be a bass. After working him to the shore I was surprised to land this guy.
All fish released to swim another day.

All in all a great weekend and I am looking forward to the next few weeks really getting crazy out there.

Until next time, see you on the water!

JB

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's a seriously in-depth report. It's like McDonald's: I'm lovin' it!

Keep on hookin em and keep the great reports comin!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Jb nice reports and some great fish always enjoy your trips out. A question i have being that i have checked out my local ponds and honeyholes is have you noticed any winter kill at any of them. 3 out of 5 of my favorite placed have had the worst kill ive seen in my 15 years out here. Its really hurting to see bass up to 22 inch and a pike i saw going 34 laying on the shorelines.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.