Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am not looking for any spots. :) I was wondering if some could give some ideas and opinions on presentation and what to take as far as gear. I ask because it will be my first time wading :oops: and I don't want to much gear. I appreciate all responses, thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use jigs and twisters or other various plastics, small cranks, inline spinners and small spinnerbaits. Also a doz. crawlers to tip on the jigs if artificials aren't cutting it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got 3 spots for ya!

Try below the Dam in Shorewood.
Downstream of Rt 52 past Rt 59 is easy to wade under the right conditions.

That KnockNolls area is nice but it gets pounded on the weekends and evening due to being close to the urban area.

I also like the confluence of the east & west branch.
Walk in through the subdivision on the S. side and wade downstream..
Many don't know but there is an easement for fishermen, its owned by the county.
From the subdivision street its ~200yd walk.

For the whole river bring a small pop R and hit any shade area.
Cast above let it drift motionless into the shade then pop it gently a few times.

Same baits as mentioned above, lots of cover.
:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Revo,

In terms of gear check this out

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I love it for wading. It allows you to bring 2 rods while you are out in the river. I bring a baitcaster for topwater, cranks, and spinnerbaits and a spinning combo for plastics. Also, I bought a little Shakespeare over-the-shoulder tackle bag from Dick's for less than $10. You can buy them for a lot more but it does the trick for a lot less.

I know there are big smallies in the Dupage and I've seen the pics but I can't help you find them since I fish the Kank. Good fishing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys and thanks for the spots rollcast. I actually inquired about this in May but still look for info. I really enjoy the river because you just don't know! :D

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
As far as wading the West Branch I've done my fair share. Around this time of year I would recommend fishing weedless. Maybe a Charlie Brewer weighted hook with a dead ringer. I like the watermelon or motoroil or even a little purple just to make things interesting. The West Branch tends to have alot of floating seaweed with big patches of eel grass to make things challenging. Sometimes you can find large areas that aren't completely grown over. Focus on those areas and edges of the weedgrowth. Jig and twister works quite well for those areas that aren't grown over. You will find your fair share of smallies 10" and less but there are a few pigs in there as well. I look forward to post and pics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.