Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out and give me some pointers on early spring bass fishing.
Ive never really started fishing this early in the year so I dont have a lot of experience with these cold waters.
Are the fish deep or shallow? What times are the best to go out? What type of baits will be the most successful? And what type of structure should I be looking for?
I do alot of shorefishing in local ponds
Any tips will be greatly appreciated not only by me but other members who are looking for an edge on these early spring bass

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Bass will be activley relocating almost as soon as ice is out.
Try the northend of the lakes primarily that have wood or rocks especially on windy days as this will retain heat from the sun, At about 45 degree water temp they will start to activly feed. Try midday when its the warmest . Rat-l-trap type baits,small crankbaits,suspending jerkbaits & small jigs worked slow should land u a few fish. The next 4-5 weeks we should see some of the biggest bass of the season :D hopefully lol

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Rattle traps and suspended stickbaits. You are looking for that reaction bite. Also weather is a big role in fishing this time of year. It can make ya or break ya. A couple of days with some stable weather can make a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I will second the rattletraps. It is amazing the action you can get with them in the cold water during stable weather. On those really nasty days, I like to downsize to a 3'' dinger and mostly deadstick when they are sluggish.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
You'll have a BLAST! fishing early spring bass, bass will feed in any water temp That isn't much of a concern but when that water hit's close to 50 you'll consistently land a few bass each day using the right tactics. In march if your new to artificials I'll suggest just throwing Live bait minnows under a float or on a jig something along those lines Because march is a transition month and high pressure and low pressure moves in and out so crazy. But With the recent weather I'll Say 1st Week of April when the bass get ready to spawn (They will in my area) You can throw whatever it is you'd like! the males will move up first to build the nest and there so easy to catch you can probably walk out and net them here I'll suggest throwing anything your least confident in to catch fish because it will build your confidence on that particular setup because you'll land fish on it. On a typical day in April i go through literally every tactic and catch fish on them just to keep my confidence high with each presentation. when the females move in you'll start landing BIGGER fish especially right before they actually lay there eggs, But even before that they'll still sit a little deeper then the males while the males are making the nest and feeding like crazy but you can target the females specifically fish slightly deeper) . but Like so many people have said and you can live by this to. fish are Easy to Catch!!! Really easy that's the easiest thing in fishing is actually catching them the hardest is to find them, Once you find them you can catch them easily. Ponds are a little different if you have a highway pond or ponds something similar to Suburban community ponds there fairly easy to catch although you still have to put your work in for them, But a pond here in the city catch decent bass is a long patient journey you'll have to throw everything because they've seen everything and literally magician the fish in. but the males will move in first there really aggressive when that happens, i recommend Spinner baits, Lipless Cranks, Bulky plastics (you'll catch those big fish!) Spring is the easiest time to catch bass you can basically throw whatever at them and there vulnerable enough to bite whatever you throw at them. Which pond it is your fishing determine the deepest point, then find the closest flat near there or find the nearest point thats where your pond bass are going to spawn, Even if you don't see them, there going to choose those locations to spawn, Because it's a pond they'll spawn a little deeper. And one other thing, A Good Pond search bait all year long is a white or yellow inline spinner bait you'll find the fish and you'll always catch some fish.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Real simple... Wait till the water reaches the 52 degree mark... Purchase Lewis Blue Rattle Traps with red treble hooks and bleeding bait body... Cast from boat towards shore and work down the drop off... Catch bass... Have a nice day... Oh yeah, take pictures... :D - BPM

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
BASSPROMATUK said:
Real simple... Wait till the water reaches the 52 degree mark... Purchase Lewis Blue Rattle Traps with red treble hooks and bleeding bait body... Cast from boat towards shore and work down the drop off... Catch bass... Have a nice day... Oh yeah, take pictures... :D - BPM
Thats true but conditions may vary according to climate and pressure system along with wind and water clarity ;)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Who can wait till the water temp reaches 52 ? By that time u missed half the spring lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
So at what rate do you retrieve the rattle traps?
Do you slow down drastically from summer fishing, or is it at a medium pace? Are you bouncing the lure off of the bottom?

I've only used rattle traps for pike, and every time I was fishing them fast, parallel to weeds.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Mandatory Fun said:
So at what rate do you retrieve the rattle traps?
Do you slow down drastically from summer fishing, or is it at a medium pace? Are you bouncing the lure off of the bottom?

I've only used rattle traps for pike, and every time I was fishing them fast, parallel to weeds.
Medium pace usually. Sometimes I will rip them in and just try to cover as much water as I can in a short amount of period to pick up the active fish. Even jerkbaits right now will work well, any type of crank will work mattering on what depth your fishing. But if you can baitcast well and pitch jig-npigs or Yamamotos, etc... Thats one of my favorite for spring bass. But for jerkbaits-- Just rip the jerkbait pretty fast and if you get nuttin or not even a strike. Slow it down a bit, try a longer pause. These bass will hit it on a pause in 40* weather easily. Waiting for 52* is crazzy, fishin starts to get hott by then. But they are just getting ready to get on there beds when its about 8* warmer.

PS: right now you want to try to cover as much water as you can that you are confident in that holds fish. If your not Confident in your bait and area. Then your chances of catching a fish drops. But scope out the area and etc before you fish and know what your working with. I can walk a whole 2-4 acre pond a few times and pick up a bass or many bass everytime around sometimes. Don't be scared to hit the same water over and over again ;)

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Culprit said:
Who can wait till the water temp reaches 52 ? By that time u missed half the spring lol
I agree, it will be summer by then! :shock: LOL

I got out today and missed one fish on a LC Jerkbait that turned on me. Plus I noticed a bunch of dead bass and crappies. Damn winter fish kills! This is my second favorite pond it has happened to since last year :(

Oh I also Lost a Ratltrap on my 3rd cast to some under water structure... Atleast I Know where the snag is now :D It wasn't there last year LOL

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
In the Spring I reel the traps as slow as I can, just keeping it above the weeds. When shore fishing the ponds I often have to retrieve a little faster then I like to avoid getting fouled up. I also like to have a soft plastic as a follow-up lure. Sometimes the bass will flash on the trap but not take it. Following it up with plastic often gets that fish.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
FishinMatt said:
In the Spring I reel the traps as slow as I can, just keeping it above the weeds. When shore fishing the ponds I often have to retrieve a little faster then I like to avoid getting fouled up. I also like to have a soft plastic as a follow-up lure. Sometimes the bass will flash on the trap but not take it. Following it up with plastic often gets that fish.
Thanks matt, i gotta give that a shot! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is my first spring fishing in 6 years but I don't think the species has changed that much. :wink:

I've always liked plastic worm fishing this time of year. Call me a wuss but sometimes it's just too damn cold or windy to fish my baitcasters. :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.