Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Squeezed in an hour or so of fishing after work by heading on over to a spot on the East Branch. Don't see many posts coming from that river but believe it or not there's fish in there.

Got on the water about 600 and left after it was dark at 715.....too early to be dark in my opinion but whachagonnado.

Throwing a jig and twister I managed to land around 4 smallies biggest pushing 14-15" smallest at 12. Lost one cuz the hook wasn't set deep enough...felt good tho.

Managed several crappie in and around the same area on the same jig and twister combo. Interesting to see some crappie in there and one went around 9-10" which is ok by me.

Popped a couple of largies as well which had some size to them that compared with the smallies.

All the fish dug the 1/16th or 1/32 I can't recall...and 3 " twister. Fish were definately in the feeding mode.

Interesting side note....as the night came to a close I heard a weird growling coming from a wooded/brushy area down river from me. It made a couple of short growls....similar to a dog but a bit wild. I'm thinking coyote. That kind of freaked me out but doesn't surprise me I see coyotes in fairly urban environments here and there. Anyway it was enough to get moving, don't want to be the first coyote fatality of the year.

No camera with me this time but if the weather holds up, I'm going back tomorrow and hopefully will have a post with pics!!

JB

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Great report JB! I've not fished the Dupage River but would like to try it sometime. I've heard good reports in the past, but yours sounds great.

Nice job.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice job out there and thanks for the report JB!! We get those growls all the time on the fox when fishing at night. Dont know what it is Racoons or coyotes but it gives me the creeps. It gets scary thinking that you might be on the evening menu. Just image you hear growls and you point a flash light in the woods and you see a doszen glowing eyes stearing at you.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies! Yeah now that I think about it the noises from the brush may have been the nightly racoon brigade. Those things can be pretty vocal in battle with other racoons. I'm thinking that any encounter with coyotes in the past usually ended up with them getting spooked by the time I was even with in a few hundred yards of them.

I went out to the same area last nite and somewhat of a difference in the bite. I managed only one smallie and lost it during the retrieve. No crappies and a couple of largies. I'm thinking that the area provided the nite before since there is limited desirable areas for the fish to hold in that area of the river. By hitting the same area last nite the fish were on to my antics.
We will see again tonight, maybe they will have forgotten by now and are willing to bite a bit more.

JB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.