Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
I think there a post from Aux where he cleans and cooks a bass on the bank for a quick lunch. I would not make a habit out of it though.
Lolol. Say what? Lololol.

I've done that in the Northwoods more than once, but never locally.

The heavy metals on the river bottom are the real poison. There are many of those in lake Michigan as well. In fact, you won't find any local river or great lake that doesn't have fish consumption advisories.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
No. If I did, like Aux points out, would be more worried about the heavy metals, pesticides and fertilizers that make their way in to the water and then the fish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They have actually removed or lightened up some of the restrictions on the DPR, but I still wouldn't feel good about eating anything out of there.
On a related note, does anyone know if these tests are run on the normally consumable flesh of the fish, or if they toss the whole thing into a centrifuge and see what they find?

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
I recently got back from Saugatuck Michigan. I fished the Kalamazoo river a few times spot hoping from shore and a short float on the kayak. I was totally shocked about the size and cleanliness of the river. However, every launch had fish consumption advisories and whole sections were marked by the signage and maps as "do not eat" areas. A local warned me not to harvest lol. He blamed an old paper mill. As if Wisconsin never had any of those.

The whole thing had me wondering...

Is Michigan being over careful?

Is Wisconsin not careful enough?

Do some states not put the dollars in that type of research while other states do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts