Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 10 - 15 years ago, I had seen this thing that had a wooden handle mounted on a 3/8" or so round steel rod, about 3 - 4 feet long, with a sharp point on the end. A 110v electric plug hung out handle end.

He would water a patch of lawn (middle of day). Using handle, stab the steel rod into the ground (maybe a foot or two), plug it in, and worms would come FLYING out of the ground. No pulling, stretching, breaking, pinched worms. Or even waiting till nighttime. Just plug it in and pick'em up.

Anyone ever seen one of these contraptions, know what its called, or where to get one? I remember asking if it was homemade and the guy said he bought it. Been looking all over internet. Kid at the Bass Pro Shop (Boilingbrook) looked at me like I was crazy. Never heard of one. Thinking some of the "old timers" here on WCF might know what I am talking about.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx...

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
A worm shocker. I think that they might have stopped making them because of the liability issue, but they wouldn't be too hard to make.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toothdoc said:
A worm shocker. I think that they might have stopped making them because of the liability issue, but they wouldn't be too hard to make.
Hey thanks guys.

I also thought that it wouldn't be very hard to make. However, electricity isn't one of my strong points. Can't be just hooking up the two hot wires to a metal rod. Need to be a way to electrify the rod without tripping breakers or blowing fuses.

Any electricians in the house?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
You can buy a worm shocker at wormshocker.com for about $50.

I wouldn't at all recommend it though...it's dangerous and shortens the liveliness and life span of your worms....potentially your own lifespan as well.

I've heard of guys making their own with a hand crank generator like on some flashlights... which will be a lot safer than anything you plug into a 110v outlet.

Personally I think you'd be better off with a large wet piece of cardboard left on the ground for a few days.

Anybody ever try "worm calling" methods? I was reading where you can make worms appear by creating vibrations on the ground...bouncing a heavy object like a sledgehammer...not pounding or swinging it mind you..just merely tamping it around to create disturbance is supposed to trick them (worms) into thinking a thunderstorm or predator like a mole is approaching. Another way was to make some notches in a large stick like a broom handle and stick it in the ground..then rub another stick along the notches...worms are supposed to appear within a few minutes to a half hour.

I suppose it would be dependent upon the population density of worms in the soil you are "calling" from..if it even works at all.

Hope this helps!=)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Darth,

The only reason I am looking for one is I have a big problem pinching and breaking worms as I try to get them out. Would just buy them but all I find around here is those Canadian Crawlers and they suck. Small and wimpy. Not like the backyard monsters I can get any night of the week. Just looking for easy way to get out of ground without digging up ol'lady's flower garden or my lawn...lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Turn the sprinkler on for 2 hours like at 9:00 PM and then turn it off wait a few minutes and go out quietly and just grab them..lol its fun! but a wom shocker is ok..Also Water and Soap?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I wonder if a cheap taser might do the trick for you, without the life threatening danger the 100 versoin brings to the table. They make ones that run on a couple flashlight batteries and can put a guy on his ass temorarily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.