Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting close to that time again - inland trout season at Axehead Lake, Belleau Lake, Sag Quary East, and Horsetail Lake.

Opening day will be Saturday, October 21, 2006. A valid Illinois fishing license with an inland trout stamp are required. There is a daily creel limit of 5 fish.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks Jason. Anyone have any guesses on when they will actually stock it? It changed at least two times last year. Their excuse...flooding. I checked it out...and there was no flood anywhere close to their trout farm.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most popular bait for the inland trout is Berkley Power Bait (trout formula/nuggets). You goop it on a small hook, cast it out, and wait.

Small in-line spinners or jigging spoons can work, as do flies.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Black FLies Tipped with Maggots !!

Small Gold Kast Maters or Silver.

Small Orange or red Plastic Grubs.

Light Line !

HAVE FUN !

I gave up last year for the trout...

Not because I wasn't catching them because they were two easy ...

5 fish in 15 minutes isn't exactly Great to me.. More of a challange would be better suited.

But I'll be back up ther ethis year !!

I'm sure you've all seen enough pictures to know what i look like, If you see me say Hi.

We'll hit a Few Differnat trout ponds/pits etc.

George

:D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
yeah they are easy but on ultralight tackle they sure are fun and sometimes it's just nice to relax and fish. sip on some hot coffee and munch on breakfast sandwhiches and wait for that rod to violently rattle with a tasty rainbow.

most important of all the suggestions is line. 4lb to be exact. 6lb will work but 4lb will catch way more fish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone use salmon eggs last spring? How was your luck because I loaded up at Bass Pro because they were dirt cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i outfished everybody around me using berkley power bait this past spring.

many people use #14 or #16 treble hook with a small split shot 2-3' above the hook. i like to use a standard hook in a similar size. just because it's easier to remove the hook. no fish lost either. anyway, the idea is that your floating the powerbait (yes, it floats) a couple feet off the bottom. you don't have to cast out a country mile to get on these trout. they are close to shore doing laps round and round the lake close to shore.

cover the entire hook with the powerbait. drop it in the water to test whether it floats or not (another reason why you need to use a small hook so that it will float). cast out about 15-20', let drop to bottom and reel in the slack. set the rod down on a holder of some sort and wait. the trout will inhale the powerbait and hook themselves most of the time. remember like i said, 4lb line is the ticket. they are extremely line shy. ultra light rigs are best.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Power Bait Worked Really Well Last Spring !!

4lb Works Well..

But at a place with a lot of weeds...

Go with 6lb test.

They are really easy to catch but yes also very fun, especially when they surface and you burn a flie above them.. an auto matic hookup !!

We all have our little secrets to pounding inland trout Go Get them !!

George

:D

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Augy said:
i outfished everybody around me using berkley power bait this past spring.
I remember fishing with you last year and don't remember you outfishing everyone. You memory must be fuzzy from hanging with your friend jack. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts