Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing that the half blood knot that I was using to tie hooks and jigs of sorts was susceptible to slipping, I switched over to the improved clinch knot. After reeling in a baby 10" Walleye yesterday I go to unhook it to realize the knot slipped, kinda ironic, so the question I am asking is what is your favorite knot?

·
Banned
655 Posts
palomar.

only downside is that it completely sucks with crankbaits as the knot weakens pretty quickly with all of those rips and while bouncing off the bottom or structure. To minimize the effects, I began using snap swivels this summer but that kills the action a bit.

If anyone has a diagram of the Rapala knot, please post!

I need something better than palomar knot for those minnowbaits I throw for walleyes.

A close-second after the Palomar knot is the Trilene knot.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
For crankbait's I use a snap...actually for everything short of spinnerbaits I use a snap.

I use the double improved clinch knot for tying to the snap because I hear to often and have experienced myself the clinch knot slips.

When I have the time and ambition to tie it I use the bucher knot as it is the strongest I have ever seen..kind of a combination of the palomar and the clinch.

http://www.joebucher.com/Articles/Article_PowerKnot.asp

Hope this helps :wink:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yeah it's a bit tricky...specially @ 2:00 a.m. night fishing trying to re-tie :?

But it is REALLY strong!

Honestly though the double improved has never ever given me any problem and it sure is alot easier 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
might try the power knot next time out but I usually go with the Trilene or the Palomar knot depending on the set up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally I've never had a palomar fail on me, and use that in any case where its possible. I must say that bucher power knot looks interesting...kind of like a cinch not crossed w/ a palomar. So clever.

-bartmandude

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
IXmarksthespot said:
sorry for the confusion meant tough as in a tough strong knot, as to difficulty level I believe anyone can master it with some practice
My bad...my reading comprehension's a lil off tonight.. :wink:

It is an excellent knot and you are absolutely right..anyone can master it.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
improved clinch knot 90% the time. (Good for bad eye sight) :wink:

palomar for drop shots and part of the 3x slugo rig :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.