Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well, the women would not have to go on the ice if there was a leash on the dog. 2nd, All dogs in the forest preserves must be kept on leashes as I believe. 3rd, the dog would have never even made it close to the ice if she had a leash on him... I tell ya, some people :roll: If the dog was on a leash though. the dog would not have made it far on the ice or even on the ice at all. I hope they all heal fast, but that just shows you what kinda idiots are out there :? Luckily they didn't drown. Good thing the firemen worked fast.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
well, the women would not have to go on the ice if there was a leash on the dog. 2nd, All dogs in the forest preserves must be kept on leashes as I believe. 3rd, the dog would have never even made it close to the ice if she had a leash on him... I tell ya, some people :roll: If the dog was on a leash though. the dog would not have made it far on the ice or even on the ice at all. I hope they all heal fast, but that just shows you what kinda idiots are out there :? Luckily they didn't drown. Good thing the firemen worked fast.
Just a thought- Couldn't the dog have been on a retractable leash, and been 20' away from the people and walked onto the ice, broken through and they followed?

Hmmmnnn...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
WrenchingnFishing said:
Just a thought- Couldn't the dog have been on a retractable leash, and been 20' away from the people and walked onto the ice, broken through and they followed?

Hmmmnnn....
You are right, but whoever puts a boxer on a retractable leash, It's not the smartest leash to use for a dog of such power. If there were a leash on the dog, the leash can act as a rope to pull the dog to safety. I just have a feeling the dog was not on a leash... Good thing they didn't drown though. Just my opinion and thought on this tragedy...

I use to have 2 Red Nose Terriers (pitbulls) and I would never put them on a retractable leash. My ex G/F and I adopted 2 boxers (Taz and Lucy) and they would as well never go on a retractable leash. She took the boxers since we didn't want to seperate them, and the terriers stay at my brother since I was working in wisconsin and he fell in love with them. So he got em.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Last Saturday I was at Belleau, and some jagbag was walking a cute chocolate lab that obviously wanted to run over and play with me. Unfourtunately for the poor dog the shorelines were shot 2-3 ft around the edge on the north end. He ran down and went right through into the water, thrashed around for a sec, and then ran right back out. Didnt look to happy.

It is the law that all dogs must be on leases in the forest preserve. Sometimes Rather than saying "Hi" to some one walking without a leash I will just say "LEASH" slowly and delibratly. I recomend calling it in if you see and unleased dog. If an unleashed dog ever snarled at me in the woods it may end up with an 8" pair of longnose pliers in its neck. I have been very close to an ugly confrontation with what appeared to be a sheperd/rotweiler/mix along the DPR. Thankfully for me, and the dog, the owner came jogging up and led him away by the collar. Since that day I have been ready for it to happen again. It sucks that some poeple are that irresposible, but if its between me getting bit and a dog dying, the dog will die.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I agree, dog was probably not on a leash... but could have been, so resonable doubt exists. And even if a retractable, the women probably could not have pulled it from the water.

Also, it is a Illinois state law that dogs must be leashed at all times, regardless of a forest preserve or not, unless on the owners property with an enclosed/fenced area. Actually the law is called "Running at Large". I see this law broken constantly.

And yes, it wouldn't be the smartest thing to put a larger dog on a retractable... but as we all know, not everyone is a smart as us WCF people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.