Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I went to Old School Pond for a few hours this afternoon. Nothing much really happening still in the water. However, the temperature of the water has gone up since last weekend when we were out the fish are still keeping their lips sealed.

I however did end up finally catching my first bass of the 09 season. Nothing big or special but it sure did feel nice to have a fighting bass at the end of my line!

As you can tell by my face I am insanely overjoyed with my catch. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Great Job!

Those bass seem really thin in that pond.. We were up there last week. ( Fish it like twice a month) And the bass i saw seemed really long and Almost nasty skinny.

Nice job!

Keep them coming

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Geo, I agree. I fished that pond a bunch last season and all the bass did seem very thin. Each one I caught and even that one I caught today hammered my plastics as if it were a crank or spinnerbait. They must not have a lot of forage to eat or something in that pond.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The first bass of the year is still a beautiful thing... Good job... I like to follow mine up shortly thereafter with the first Cubs win of the year... Makes for a nice time of year! :D - BPM

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BASSPROMATUK said:
The first bass of the year is still a beautiful thing... Good job... I like to follow mine up shortly thereafter with the first Cubs win of the year... Makes for a nice time of year! :D - BPM
Ain't that the truth.

However, for me it would be with the first Sox win of the year. :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fish old school quite often and have also noticed the fish look rather thin and unhealthy. I have included a picture of one of the fish my buddy caught from there last year. I remember reading somewhere that if the mouth of the fish is disproportionate to the size of the body, it may signify that it is unhealthy. Can anybody substantiate this? On the flipside, I always see lots of frogs around this place, which usually signifies a good ecosystem.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Is that place down near Tampier, Palos area?

Nice to get the bite on....as it warms up you will be killing them fo sho!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Islandfisher said:
JB said:
Is that place down near Tampier, Palos area?
It is in Lake County just south of Gurnee.
Exactly. Directly west of Lambs Farm.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been trying to find causes to why the bass would be so skinny and I found a couple of answers.

One might be due to the amount of vegetation in the lake. This causes the bluegill to be able to hide better and evade being prey to the bass. Therefore, making it difficult for the bass to have a steady diet of said forage.

Another reason I found is that there might be an abundance of dink bass in the lake. Therefore the given forage might not be able to sustain the basses hunger and weight which would take away from the overall size of each bass.

As you said edmundohillary there is a large amount of frogs in the summer months at Old School. It seems that almost every step along the shoreline a frog would jump into the water. One would figure the bass would have a buffet with so many.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.