Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im wanted some opinions about reels when your fishing cranks do you prefer a high speed baitcast reel or a slower one? im look to get a rod for crankin and want to find a reel for it....

·
Registered
825 Posts
A reel with a lower gear ratio and more cranking power is often recommended. Something with a 5-1 ratio is ideal. However, if you want to take that reel and use it for other applications, you'll probably wish you had something higher. I use a 6.3 reel and am always telling myself to slow down. I'm not a big crank guy or I would have a lower gear ratio reel. Good fishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
You definitely don't want a high-speed gear ratio for cranking. Like Paul said, usually the 5.x:1 reels are geared toward cranking.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
dont go highspeed but dont afraid to throw cranks on a 6:4:1. I throw mine on my 6.4.1 revo stx and a kistler 7ft medium crank rod... great set up if you have the money :D just slow down when fishing anything more than a 5:4:1

·
Registered
654 Posts
I lucked out and bought a brand new AG Revo Premier on Ebay last month for $154.99 w/free shipping. You can buy one everyday on Ebay for $179-$189. If you do the auctions they usually end at about $160 plus $10 shipping but I've seen some end for less than $140.
Good luck. There's alot of great gear out there and you shouldn't have too many probs finding the ideal setup.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Jay,
Are you getting a "crankbait" rod? If so, I would try one before you buy it. I owned a Loomis crankbait rod a couple years ago and I did not care for it and later sold it. It had the nice soft tip and parabolic bend and all that jazz but it was not very sensitive. I owned a Falcon that was a 1/3 of the price of the Loomis and it was much more sensitive. It was a great topwater rod but I didn't need a $200+ topwater rod. Now an argument can be made that a less-sensitive rod is preferred so you won't set the hook too fast and therefore pull the bait out of its mouth but that's not for me. I'd rather use a more sensitive rod and feel what I'm banging into. Plus, setting the hookset on a crank has always been more about keeping constant pressure and letting the fish hook itself. Anyways, I use a 6'6" M Avid for cranks alot like Cranked does. Maybe it helps. Good fishing.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I use the Loomis crankbait rod and love it,unlike old school crankbait rods that were fiberglass which had little sensitivity Loomis added Graphite to the blank to increase sensitivity.
I use it with a 5.1:1 reel,also makes a decent topwater rod but I prefer a faster reel 6.3:1 with topwater.
Also doubles as a great jerkbait, rat-l-trap rod with the same 5.1:1 gear ratio reel.
It has the perfect sensitivity to forgiveness ratio I found in a rod, I throw crankbaits often and just my opinion :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
At Bass pro they have the Crankin sticks for 50 bucks. I love em for crankbaits. The new Curado 200E5 is a perfect crankin reel. That thing fits in the palm of your hand. Really low fatigue after crankin all day long. The crankin sticks go on sale in the spring classic for 25 bucks every year. I buy 8 of them. 5 of them are 7' med to med/hvy. 3 of them are 7'6" med/hvy. The new Curado is unbelievable. Check out the shimano website. They have video with the new curado.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I have the cbr783 medium 6'6"

Also have an older Team Daiwa-S glass 7' mh crankin rod that I never use anymore cuz the Loomis totally outperforms it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I don't remember if I had the 782 or 783. It was ideal for light topwater and smaller jerkbaits but for ripping baits out of weeds, bumping into stumps, or dredging a crankbait, it wasn't sensitive enough for my liking. My buddy has a couple of them and loves them.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I also have a 6'6" Grandt ml crankbait rod that I purchased on a whim and dont really like, the handle is too long and the blank too thick .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.