Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know what I was seeing when this gorgeous critter was hopping and flopping on a dealerships back lot road. Went to see what it was and if I could lend a hand and met my first ever Imperial Moth. Needed the biologist GF to identify the species but needed no help knowing I was in the presence of something special. I carefully moved him (too small for a female I was told) to an area where he wouldn't get run over and spent probably 20 minutes making sure he was moving off in the right direction. Not quite sure why the experience moved me and made my day :)

Forgot to crop the last pic, click on for a close up head shot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Aux Pleins said:
Have that biologist i.d. this bug. Bigger than a cicada with evil chompers on its face. Last year there was one on my tent longer than a beer can.

Looks like a Dobsonfly, what Hellgramites turn into!

In case you were worried about the bite, here's their southern cousin :lol:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I used to see those a lot when I was a kid, the caterpillar's are friggin huge.

A couple years ago was the first one I had seen around in 20+ years. If I recall, the adults have a fairly short lifespan and don't even eat.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lip_Yanker said:
I used to see those a lot when I was a kid, the caterpillar's are friggin huge.

A couple years ago was the first one I had seen around in 20+ years. If I recall, the adults have a fairly short lifespan and don't even eat.
Yeah my girlfriend said they don't eat. They mate they die. Kinda sad. Maybe they're on the comeback with all the prairie restoration projects going on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts