Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
got out from 7-10am today. Holy wind batman!!!
Picked up the pike while we were still setting up. Got the catfish as we were packing up to leave. Nothing in between those 2 fish. The pike was 27", caught in 4 FOW with the minnow set about 18" below the water line. both released
firstice.JPG

firstice2.JPG

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Nice fish for sure!

I think my flags need viagara. Several outings the past couple of years with no signs of life on the tip-ups. :oops:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
JasonN said:
I think my flags need viagara. Several outings the past couple of years with no signs of life on the tip-ups. :oops:
Jay, It might be the area and stucture of the lake you are targeting and the depth you set your tip-ups at... There are also many rigs to be used while tip-up fishing for certian species and water. I'm sure Ringneck as well as Me will give ya some input if you ever need it... You up for Deep Lake anytime soon???

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread Ring, I'm sure ya understand ;)

Dave

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't give up Jason! Like all things fishing it's all about learning. Last year was really the first year I started to have any success with flags - so I know the feeling. I don't really do anything too exciting: Hook the minnow just in front of the dorsal fin using a very small "bite" of the minnow's back. I usually target pike in water less than 10 ft and set my minnow down 1/2 way to the bottom or above any weeds. I also generally set one of the tip-ups shallow about a foot below the ice. I don't think I'm an expert by any means & welcome other suggestions - but that's what I've had some luck doing.

George W said:
Culprits avatar distracts the hell out of me!!
:lol:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Here's some info I have learend has produced and what I believe has helped me over the years of tip-up fishing...

I always use a leader, I usually use a 10 pound steel leader that is soo thin, it looks like 4-6lb test mono. I usually make my own and make an 18 inch leader into a Quick Strike rig, But when times are tough, you gotta start switching things around. Right now I am using 20lb steel leader I bought from dicks. I try to use black or a dark brown if I can find them. If you are fishing deep. It is soo dark down there it will not matter most of the time. But when you are fishing shallow in clear water, Sometimes for bass it is good to go to a a Floro or Mono Leader at about 8-10 lb test. The only problem is that when you hook into a pike on Mono... He Gone!!! LOL Thats why I always use leaders. I lost my fish of a lifetime on Flouro. The pike was over 40"+ inches and I will not take that risk anymore with Mono. I also lost one about 38"s in IL that was due to a Mono leader... But Mistakes happen and you learn from them. I hope this helps... Larry "Legend075" also lost his Pike of his lifetime with me using 20lb Flouro. Certian Lakes I will fish diefferent depths. For Pike I try to stay within 3 feet off the bottom if im in 12-14 foot of water, Pop Holes Zig-Zagging on the lake like you are running your boat and scanning depth. Hole hop with your depth finder and find that weed line or even some nice weed pockets. This will increase your chances of catching. By the way, If I do not gt a flag within 2 hours. I pull them all up and move. Also make sure your minnows are fresh and lively... Sometimes I will make a fast lap around to your tip-ups and just lift on the tip-up making sure the minnow did not get in weeds. But if there is a fish in the area, this also gets them kicking. I have had great success when I get my minnow active. Once I Put the flag down, a minute later in the past I have stood and watched the flag go up. Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

PS: For your weight, mess around with weights. I try to keep them atleast 3 feet up on the line from the hook/bait, It gives the minnow some room to roam instead of being stationed. Weight size will vary to your tention setting on your tip-up and the size of the bait you will be using...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.