Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't fish the DPR that often, but for some reason, decided to give it a shot today.
Hoping for a pike or bass or two, the bros. and I rigged up with paddle-tails and spinners and started casting. After a couple minutes, my older brother yells he just had a decent fish swipe and miss his lure. Of course, the younger brother heads over and joins the "pursuit." Sure enough, first or second cast, he hooks into a 30"-ish fish and excitedly calls me over to help with the net job. After slip-sliding my way along the steep, muddy bank, I assume the position and prepare to net his fish. He brings it in close enough for me to get a glimpse, and to my surprise, he's hooked what looks like a musky! Not being sure, I didn't want to say anything before scooping him up, but sure enough, when we got it in the net, it was in fact a healthy little musky. After a good laugh and a few pictures, I released the fish and watched it swim off good and strong. I've heard of a few being caught from the river, but I sure was surprised to see one in person.
Trousers Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fisherman Fish

Other than this fish, we got skunked, but I still consider it a successful trip!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There are very few but I caught one last winter and I know of a tiger musky caught a couple years back. They get in the river via busse woods and salt creek, and far less likely from Sterling lake if the dpr super floods i guess. But musky like rivers i wish they would directly stock them in local rivers instead of lakes.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Thanks for the report!
DPR Busskie. Pretty cool! (y)
Maybe we'd see some natural DPR Tigers some day. Bussie stockings have been feeding the DPR since the 80s

Would like to know how far north or if it was south of riverside, How bout a town, county? Curious.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sworn to secrecy (LOL!) as to exact location, but Willow Springs area. That kind of added to our surprise, because I know they can come in from Busse, but if that's where this fish was from, he was quite the traveler!

·
Registered
491 Posts
But musky like rivers i wish they would directly stock them in local rivers instead of lakes.
There was a major discussion earlier in the fall on FB - basically a week or so after Friends of the Fox stocked musky, someone caught a guy with a bucket of fingerlings "for eating". And that on Fox where DNR is sort of present. Imagine how stocking a premium species would work on unmonitored, unmonitorable, and already somewhat pressured site like DPR.

PS. Stole the pic from that thread:

Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Recipe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice catch . Im just starting to explore DP again since i now live close to it . I use to fish ohare area and lyons and seen a guy once pull out a musky . Yes they are from busse for sure and do well in the river .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts