Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my dad and I were thinking of getting out on the ice next weekend, but we've never gone before, so I got a couple of questions:
1)what are some good spots around the NW 'burbs?
2)What are some good baits to use w/a tip up?
3)is there any chance that we might be able to use the holes that others have drilled before, since it doesn't seem reasonable to buy a $70 auger just for 2 or 3 days out on the ice a year? :oops:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
$42 BPS - I think its a 5"er

I've kicked in recently used or slightly frozen holes when I check out something and don't feel like lugging the auger out onto the ice. The only problem is you can't chose where you want to fish

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
mplant1 said:

I've kicked in recently used or slightly frozen holes when I check out something and don't feel like lugging the auger out onto the ice. The only problem is you can't chose where you want to fish
With the temps coming in this weekend... I highly doubt those holes will still be semi opened enough to kick in... Bring a Chain saw!!! :lol:

If you go to an area with a heavy crowd of fisherman on the ice, that might be your best bet for finding semi-open holes. I have not seen one this year yet, besides my own holes.. and those were a litte tricky to find as well... An 8 inch hole on a big lake is hard to find... :oops:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
mplant1 said:

I have not seen one this year yet, besides my own holes.. and those were a litte tricky to find as well... An 8 inch hole on a big lake is hard to find... :oops:
Whats so tricky Dave just stick your head between your legs and you'll find it. :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
666 Posts
Hey man, don't know if you've been paying attention over at FHQ.com but we'll be having an ice rodeo (outing) sometime in late January or really anytime in February.

Everyone associated is invited. If you want, bring your dad along for the adventure! :)

Don't worry. After your first few trips without any of the technical and elegant electronics, you're bound to figure things out. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Get a lazer auger not the blue colored mora The lazer will cut threw old holes the mora will not ,comes in handy for thick ice,looking for fish,bigger the auger hardewr to cut with

Get ice picks,buy them or make them,might save your life
Buy or make a spud bar i made mine,use to strike ahead off you,goes threw ice,put it in reverse

No shelter and your holes starting to freeze up,put some fish scent stuff in the hole.most off that stuff is oil based

Ice cleats a must with no snow on ice, a lot of them will not stay on your boots,i get some cheap ones at dicks,made of rubber,they work great

Sunny and snow on the ice SUNGLASSES

Line-2 pound test Iuse to use 1 pound test but i canit see any more

Lot of great fisherman on this site,they will help you

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew_R said:
Hey man, don't know if you've been paying attention over at FHQ.com but we'll be having an ice rodeo (outing) sometime in late January or really anytime in February.

Everyone associated is invited. If you want, bring your dad along for the adventure! :)

Don't worry. After your first few trips without any of the technical and elegant electronics, you're bound to figure things out. It's not that hard.
Hey, thanks for the offer andrew, I'll go check it out on your site. If he has some time we might head your way, but we probably won't stay long.

·
Registered
229 Posts
HSFish said:
Well, my dad and I were thinking of getting out on the ice next weekend, but we've never gone before, so I got a couple of questions:
1)what are some good spots around the NW 'burbs?:
Anyplace you fish in the summer you can also fish in the winter - except for some forest preserves which may have restrictions. For panfish a popular spot is Nielson's Channels in Fox River Valley Gardens. There's a bar in there that'll let you pay a few bucks for parking. There will be lots of others out there & probably some recently opened holes. If you don't want an auger you can get a chipper bar - they're a little cheaper but your options will be limited. It'll bust through light ice or recently frozen over holes, but you won't enjoy going through 6 or 8" with it.

HSFish said:
2)What are some good baits to use w/a tip up?
I use medium or large roaches almost exclusively.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ringneck has it right HS. nielsen's has been loaded with fisherman the past few weekends, and those gills are just about everywhere....there should be some open holes abandoned by other fishermen on the move that you might be able to use.

also, while your equipment and experience are limited, take advantage of groups of fishermen on the ice. walk up and introduce yourself. let them know you arent looking to steal their spot, but that you are just getting started and a dont have all the tools yet. i met plenty of guys out there willing to drill me a hole or let me fish some holes that they had previously drilled and werent using anymore. these same guys may help you out in more ways than just popping a hole or two open for you.

the most important thing to remember is to be respectful and thankful. i dont eat fish and usually toss back what i catch, but i would regularly throw a few eaters on the ice for the guys who helped me out with advice, bait, and/or equipment when needed.

stay on top.

bd76

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey darth, glad i found where you were hiding out, i always enjoyed reading your posts. you may not remember but we met a couple years ago on the fox. you almost had me talked into buying some waders with stories of all them bronzebacks, but i still havent made that purchase yet.
hope to see you on the ice sometime soon. :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
if you want to meet up im think i might go out 2morrow morning but idk where i was think maybe mallard and i just bought an auger...... and i also think i will be goin out sunday i just dont know where to go anyone have any suggestions i was thinkin the chain for sure on sunday anybody know if mallard is doing good.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.