Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going up to the driftless area of Wisconsin to fish for trout and do some camping sometime soon. Any recommendations on a campground? Maybe a campground with good creeks nearby? Not looking for your honeyhole, just have never been up there to fish for trout. I've been considering the Kickapoo Valley Preserve - La Farge and just exploring the creeks in the area. At first glance, it would seem like a solid option.

Another question, for those who fish the area, what do use to determine if the creeks are in good shape or blown out? One of the USGS streamflow sites?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Mike - check your PM.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This spot puts you in the middle of great water including the Fennimore Fork right off your campsite: Jerome's Campsite at Castle Rock - 2049 County Rd Q, Montfort, WI 53569

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love the Viroqua, Wisconsin area. Outstanding fly fishing store as mentioned, Driftless Angler. The welcome you will receive by everyone in the area is Wonderful.
You can pretty much fish all over. Just respect the property owners by staying in the stream, be polite, close the gates....
Verify all camping before going.
There has been a very nice bed-and-breakfast in Viroqua. It seems to change hands every so many years but my spouse really has like it.
If the streams are flowing too much, try to enjoy the "chill" and "vibe" of the area. It is very special.
Don't forget to try some night fishing as the biggest trout love topwater after sunset. Find places during the day and hit them again once the sun goes down.
Have Fun.
Be well.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I hate reading about the driftless area. My in-laws lived in that neck of the woods for 30+ years. My family would go there every other weekend for years and stupid me never once fished it because I was always looking to catch a bass. What a dope.
~JOE~

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother has been to the site described by narwhal. He said it was the best place he had ever seen in the driftless area of Wisconsin. However, he didn't show me any photos! That makes me even more curious about that place. I hope I'll be able to visit it any time soon. Is it really that great? I mean, I won't be disappointed if I go there next summer? I was thinking about visiting a similar place by the end of January as I have a ten-day vacation. I have already read all the Caravan Air Conditioner Reviews to get one for the cold nights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts