Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I've only trolled on LM once when I was young.

I would like to get out sometime this summer and give it a try again. When I went the first time I was on a charter and wasn't able to learn much about the tricks of the trade. Hopefully this summer I can get on someones boat who is willing to explain to me how to work the equipment: I have no idea what a dipsie or a dodger is :oops: .

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
My bass boat would go under after the first 4 foot roller went over the bow. I have been out multiple times, but am no means competent :p I think Pedzek hit it on the head. You guys are the pros and we are the tag alongs when you have an empty seat :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
hopefully in the next year or so ill be pickin up some kinda rig to take out there. I've learned quite a bit from rock, really all I know about trollin he's taught me. It's really fairly simple once you get out there a couple times, just like learnin to use a baitcaster, or how to flip and pitch, or anything else. time and practice makes perfect :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
oh i know... i just mean that people think it's a lot more difficult than it really is. I know rock is dialed in, we have a great time out there and he definately knows what he's doin. I think maybe I just have a natural feel for it... idk. I know all about boat control, wind, current, speed, water temp, depth, etc. My family used to have a boat when I was growin up and troll some lakes up in wisconsin and occasionally LM though too, so I've been exposed to it for my whole life. I guess you're right though. There's a lot influencing a good day on LM trolling, everything I said earlier comes into play. It all depends on the person too IMO, I pick things up really quick. Oh well. I know it would take me a bit to get anywhere near the point rock, or you are, but I still don't think it's nearly as difficult as people think. Oh well, no biggie, no reason to argue it :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dailed in LOTFRTDTS
you figuer that out
Here is my story in a simply paragraph

15ft Red Siverline trihull (critera 1973) boat in 1988. Old engine.lost the lower unit at 6 months Fished LM FOR PERCH EVERY year since, Fished the St Joe alot between 88 and 92ish.Lost several props in that river,Never realy caught much. Fished almost every year at Lake Cumberland Ky. and got pretty good for the stripers down there(big fish 44,35,28.25 and several 100's under 20 since 88 to 2006).As for LM Salmon fishing i bought a new boat in Aug 2004.Joind a stupid site .Met WH and read his post on Diversy browns (April 2005)and went for it. Got me hooked and that got me going to NP .I have fished with DGC since 1999 and knew it had a price tag. The rest is history.

You belive I have it dialed in you need to go fishing with a LM CAPT.
I suggest Capt Tony Of Diamond Ghost Charters or a FULL TIME CAPT
You need to go out of North point Marina is my next suggestion .
Time of year?
Steady stream of nice quialty fish is Mid July to the Mid Sept
Last year I took a 5 hour charter The last weekend of July and we had
44 fish on with a 23 fish in the boat. Great day? Great Capt?
Its a coin toss on the day, Never on the Capt.
Tony is a FULL TIME CAPT. Not a rockfish. The time I go he runs a MAX of 8 rods. 4 riggers 2 riggers the day I went last year.
I have tried to understand his ways but that is experiance period.
I figured we spent less than 4 hours of fishing and to have 44 hook ups is not just plain luck.
Than again people might say differant.
Every year I have gone the worst was 7 fish,the best was 27.

Now thats a Capt that has it Dailed in not me.

Rockfish

I figure with the kicker 1500/rods 600/lures 800/GAS/OIL I have spent since April of 2005 was maybe less than 1400 dollars on Rods/lures.
Now lets see what aguy spends a year or anyone that has no boaty pls

It cost me to go to NP in gasoline is in the range of 25 t0 30 gallons
thats when it hurts now.
So when boaters invite you out just remember the avg 18ft boat with a 150 hp gets around 4 miles to the gallon(WOT) plus lets say 14 more cents in 2 stroke oil per gallon and that is a fraction of the cost

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.