Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey Justin, what time were you fishing? Reason I ask is that I was fishing from about 7:30-9:00 am (would've been 6:30 but gate wasn't open). Only got one nibble on a jig & power grub but water was shallow, didn't have any waders, and didn't bring any live bait as the outing was a last minute idea since me & the wife were spending the weekend in the area house hunting. Ran into one angler and his partner that got an 'eye or two below the 120 bridge when we were waiting for the ranger to open the gate. Was that you I talked to?
On another note since there have been recent reports of pike on the DP, I was out Sat morning for 2 hours and last weekend for a couple hours both days and picked up a total of 8 fish between 18"-28" and missed/lost 4 more! Action's definitely been hot lately. Missed one last weekend that would've been close to 40" on a bucktail... only a matter of time for me till I crack the 40" mark on the D.P. river (personal goal of mine). All fish on spinnerbaits, bucktails, or LARGE x-raps anywhere from Des Plaines up north thru Wheeling/Prospect Heights. Post a few pics when I get home if time allows, until then, good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
346 Posts
AL-Quatics said:
Hey Justin, what time were you fishing? Reason I ask is that I was fishing from about 7:30-9:00 am (would've been 6:30 but gate wasn't open). Only got one nibble on a jig & power grub but water was shallow, didn't have any waders, and didn't bring any live bait as the outing was a last minute idea since me & the wife were spending the weekend in the area house hunting. Ran into one angler and his partner that got an 'eye or two below the 120 bridge when we were waiting for the ranger to open the gate. Was that you I talked to?
On another note since there have been recent reports of pike on the DP, I was out Sat morning for 2 hours and last weekend for a couple hours both days and picked up a total of 8 fish between 18"-28" and missed/lost 4 more! Action's definitely been hot lately. Missed one last weekend that would've been close to 40" on a bucktail... only a matter of time for me till I crack the 40" mark on the D.P. river (personal goal of mine). All fish on spinnerbaits, bucktails, or LARGE x-raps anywhere from Des Plaines up north thru Wheeling/Prospect Heights. Post a few pics when I get home if time allows, until then, good fishing.

Alex
Wasnt us.. We didnt get there till about 2:30 PM. Its been really slow down by the damn lately.. There was a few boats out below the damn that were catching a few eyes, nothing of any size.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Looking forward to the pics Al. With the DesPlaines so close to me i'm going to be doing some exploring the next couple of weekends. Seems like there are indeed some good fish in there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry Jay, but I didn't get a chance to post those pics last nite as all my time is being spent talking to my realtor & mortgage broker... that being said, I'm going to need a fishing fix this weekend to clear my mind and the dirty D seems like my best option. With the river being so low some of my normal spots aren't fishable and I've been doing some exploring of my own and have come up with some nice options. I'm sure you don't need any help finding fish, but if you ever wanna hook-up I can show you a bunch of my honey holes that I've pulled over a 100 pike from since I began fishing the river for pike 7-8 years ago, all within a few minutes drive from Des Plaines itself. Good fishing.

Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.