Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
Culprit said:
Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Many Christian theologians think this is a reference to Psalm 22 which is a Messianic psalm illustrating by what signs/marks the Jewish people are to recognize their Messiah when he comes and describing the ultimate victory of his apparent demise. If you read it, it describes the life of Jesus quite well. It was the practice of rabbinic Judaism of the time to quote the first several verses of a passage to bring to mind that whole passage, which devout Jews would have memorized, particularly those that refer to a coming Messiah.

Given your previous posts I would assume you are attempting to suggest that even this man Jesus was foresaken by God. This thought/interpretation is traditionally believed to be simply a reference to God's turning his eyes from the sin Christ bore on the cross (since God cannot be in the presence of, nor look upon, sin), not a rejection of him and his person or salvific work. God doesn't reject, men do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.