Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished the west bank by the discharge north of Howard from 1:30-4:00. It was 42 degrees out and overcast for most of the time (very pleasant conditions).

I caught 6 white perch, 2 LMB, and blue gill on an 1/8 oz. lime green jighead using fathead minnows for bait. The majority of the fish where caught in an hour span when the sun poked through the clouds.

My best of the day was this 13" Large mouth. The picture really doesn't do the fish any justice. I think I need to work on taking pictures while holding fish :oops:.

I think that there are some huge fish in this area. While fishing, a put down my pole momentarily while zipping up my jacket. When I picked up the pole it literally bent in half as the drag let out about ten feet of line. After about three seconds of action the fish got away. I was caught off guard and didn't set the hook correctly.
Because of this failure I can't wait to return,

- Islander

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Ah Sean... you discovered one of my favorite spots on the river. Nice job on those fish! I was actually out there Saturday (east shore) for about 45 minutes and only managed to snag 3 big gizzard shad.

That spot you were at today is very nice. Be careful of snags close to shore. I like to cast along the seam of the current from the discharge and slowly work the lure back in, slightly off the bottom. The fish seem to wait for "opportunities" from the flowing water.

Here's one of my best fish from that spot...

I had so much confidence in this spot, that I had my camera on a tripod with the remote (behind my back), because I knew I would catch a nice fish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've never been to the nsc and was wondering what bait i should go with? I plan on going to the howard bridge Friday morning, should i do the whole minnow gig like wwd at busse or are these fish actually catchable at this time with lures? I know the bass at wwd at busse don't even look at anything that isn't alive and swimming is the scenario about the same here? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Minnows worked well for me. However you are going to need some type of weight because the current is really strong. I'm sure a lures would work, but like Jason said you have to be careful of snags; I lost about 5 jigs. (I noticed that other fisherman lost a lot of lures in the tree also)

If you are fishing by the bridge a minnow and hook wwd deal may work out well for you because there isn't as much current at that spot.

Yesterday was the first time I fished there, so I hope that little bit of info can help you out.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice fish Jason!! The picture didn't load the first time I viewed the page. WOW! Using a controller behind your back . . . . . pretty slick!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice job man, I agree with Augy, in that it always feel good to catch some fish in waters unfamiliar with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Watch out for the one guy who sometimes goes there on the weekends.

He's skinny, has glasses, fishes for bass at the howard discharge by the tunnels.

He doesn't like people in his spot.....that's what he told me.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice poker guy. I'm still going to go there I just hope I don't run into that guy. We'll see what we see!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts