Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a weird title. I haven't been on this board much since early last summer. It wasn't the most productive summer of fishing for me. Started out great in May and June. Got some decent early season bass at Beck and an unnamed pond that a Board member clued me into. But after that, couldn't catch anything other than a few stunted bluegill.

In 2019 and 2020, my PSA (prostate value) started climbing. Underwent biopsies in both years, which came back negative. (We won't talk about the "joys" of a prostate biopsy.) I've always been very healthy and in relatively good shape. In 2021 when my PSA numbers still continued to climb, my doctor had me take a prostate MRI. A small lesion showed up on the scan. A targeted biopsy revealed that I had a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. After reviewing all of the alternatives, I opted to undergo a robotic prostatectomy on 11/17/21. Although I read some scary things about possible side effects, I didn't have much of a choice.

Long story short, I've been very, very lucky and blessed. The pathology report showed that the cancer did not spread anywhere. I was also extremely fortunate in that a common side effect (incontinence) did not occur. Not sure why exactly, but I'm very grateful. In most cases it takes several weeks to 6-8 months to regain control. I do have to take regular PSA tests to make sure no microscopic cancer cells start developing, but in a follow up appointment my doctor said he's not expecting to see any problems, but you never know. I'll just take it one step at a time.

I'm back at work and pretty much have my strength back. Really looking forward to another fishing season, cycling up to the Goons again, and hopefully sharing some nice pics in a few months! Stay safe and healthy, my friends!

Steve

Reactions: ganz1960 and Grain

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Heya Steve! I always think I'll run into you when I hit Beck... sorry to hear about the diagnosis but it's awesome you are back to shape already!

My father died of prostate cancer and I currently have two uncles in the fighting stage... so I'm happy to hear a prostate cancer story that doesn't end badly.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Steve, first off thanks for sharing your personal health ordeal. Second, its music to all of our ears that you've had a positive outcome after surgery. No doubt this post touches and inspires us all. Look forward to you hoisting those green fish up when the weather warms.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heya Steve! I always think I'll run into you when I hit Beck... sorry to hear about the diagnosis but it's awesome you are back to shape already!

My father died of prostate cancer and I currently have two uncles in the fighting stage... so I'm happy to hear a prostate cancer story that doesn't end badly.
Hey Minstrel! So sorry to hear about your dad and your two Uncles. Praying for them and sending healing thoughts! And yeah, we may run into each other at Beck come May or June!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know, it's a weird title. I haven't been on this board much since early last summer. It wasn't the most productive summer of fishing for me. Started out great in May and June. Got some decent early season bass at Beck and an unnamed pond that a Board member clued me into. But after that, couldn't catch anything other than a few stunted bluegill.

In 2019 and 2020, my PSA (prostate value) started climbing. Underwent biopsies in both years, which came back negative. (We won't talk about the "joys" of a prostate biopsy.) I've always been very healthy and in relatively good shape. In 2021 when my PSA numbers still continued to climb, my doctor had me take a prostate MRI. A small lesion showed up on the scan. A targeted biopsy revealed that I had a very aggressive form of prostate cancer. After reviewing all of the alternatives, I opted to undergo a robotic prostatectomy on 11/17/21. Although I read some scary things about possible side effects, I didn't have much of a choice.

Long story short, I've been very, very lucky and blessed. The pathology report showed that the cancer did not spread anywhere. I was also extremely fortunate in that a common side effect (incontinence) did not occur. Not sure why exactly, but I'm very grateful. In most cases it takes several weeks to 6-8 months to regain control. I do have to take regular PSA tests to make sure no microscopic cancer cells start developing, but in a follow up appointment my doctor said he's not expecting to see any problems, but you never know. I'll just take it one step at a time.

I'm back at work and pretty much have my strength back. Really looking forward to another fishing season, cycling up to the Goons again, and hopefully sharing some nice pics in a few months! Stay safe and healthy, my friends!

Steve
Hello Steve. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 23 years ago this month. Had a great doctor at Loyola that guided me (then a still young, otherwise healthy 48 then) through it all. Like you, mine was luckily small and contained. Radical prostectomy bought me about 16 years. After watching my numbers do some "pretty crazy things" for a few years; then to be safe, we went through a round of radiation therapy. But thank God, after 23 years i'm still here. I'm just giving this brief history so you know it's far from over. Remaining extremely vigilant going forward in terms of tracking your PSA regularly will be hugh in keeping on top of it. It was very fortunate that your doctor had the foresight to order that MRI. You don't mention your age. I only ask because based on what i've observed it seems to typically be less virulent in older guys. I was only 48 when diagnosed, which wasn't a good thing. But again, 23 years and counting.

And you must keep fishing. It's impossible to fish and worry at the same time. At least if you're doing it right. LOL. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Godspeed
Bob P.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Steve. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 23 years ago this month. Had a great doctor at Loyola that guided me (then a still young, otherwise healthy 48 then) through it all. Like you, mine was luckily small and contained. Radical prostectomy bought me about 16 years. After watching my numbers do some "pretty crazy things" for a few years; then to be safe, we went through a round of radiation therapy. But thank God, after 23 years i'm still here. I'm just giving this brief history so you know it's far from over. Remaining extremely vigilant going forward in terms of tracking your PSA regularly will be hugh in keeping on top of it. It was very fortunate that your doctor had the foresight to order that MRI. You don't mention your age. I only ask because based on what i've observed it seems to typically be less virulent in older guys. I was only 48 when diagnosed, which wasn't a good thing. But again, 23 years and counting.

And you must keep fishing. It's impossible to fish and worry at the same time. At least if you're doing it right. LOL. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Godspeed
Bob P.
Hey Bob! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Really glad to hear you're still doing well after 23 years. I'm 67, but in pretty good shape I believe. Totally agree with you about the importance of ongoing PSA tests. My Dr. has already scheduled them out in advance. Get one every 2-3 months for the first few years. My first one was last month and, thank God, there was no PSA detectable. But as you say, it can still creep up. It's too easy to think, "Well, I'm okay and everything is fine now!" And beyond just the sheer love and thrill of fishing, "not thinking about other things" while I'm doing it is a bonus. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and advice, I appreciate it.

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts

Steve
Hey Steve,
Had another thought. I see you just had surgery back in November. If you don't have a cardiologist, you might want to consider seeing one. Myself and a couple other fellows i know all had heart "events" about 1-1/2 - 2 yrs. after prostate surgeries. Likely a co-incidence, but erring on the side of caution seems prudent. Anyway, like i said, was just something that popped into my head and thought i'd pass it along. Hope all is well.

Bob P.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts