Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know of any good gloves to wear while fishing? The last couple of times out, it felt like my hands were blocks of ice afterwards.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I just got an inexpensive pair at Dick's a couple of years ago. They are thin rubber and neoprene I believe. I have heard of others using the mechanics type gloves as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
The ones that I got from Dicks are great for this time of year. As a matter of fact, I have even used them when fishing at the WWD in the middle of winter if it's not too cold.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Woole gloves with the cut off thumb and fingers if possible. Check Dicks and Cabela's. They are priced really cheap and work great. If you get them wet. Do not take them off, the water actually will insulate as a warmth. These gloves are by far my best in opinion and experience. I use them ice fishing all year. I would be using them now, but lost the left glove... :oops:

Dave

·
Registered
825 Posts
For bass fishing in the cold, I use batting gloves. For ice fishing, I use these fingerless gloves which have an attached mitten which snaps back. A little awkward but it works for me. Those warm packs are great too.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Big Bass Lee said:
Go to Bass Pro. Neoprene gloves that have fold back index and thumb for $10.99. Nice flexible, warm glove
Thanks Lee, you too the words right out of my mouth. I will be getting a pair of these soon.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dude, Andrew! You read my mind man! That's what I have been thinking about- can't I just put latex gloves underneath the regular ones, so they don't get wet. Anyway, i found some warm, fairly flexible gloves at home. I'll have to go and check out the Dick's or Cabela's sometime though.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I bought some gloves at Cabelas and was not satisfied with them, they were black with rubber palms. The top of the glove is almost like a short fleece. They are pretty warm and are easy to work with, But the rubber on the palm seem to rip easily. I noticed this after the 3rd time i wore them. They were 20 bucks, so stay away from them if you can. Totally not worth the money ;) They were Cabelas name brand, I would have thought they would last a while. I was wrong...

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Paul S said:
Dave,
That surprises me too. Cabela's has been a name that I really began to trust for quality. The waders and fleece jacket I have from them are top-notch.
Paul, I was really suprised about the gloves. But I am satisfied with my Steelhead Waterproof Cabelas Jacket I bought for wading and fly fishing during the cold months... It has Noeprene cuffs under the jacket that run up my arm to my elbow. That is really nice to have when Grabing a Steelhead in the cold river. I got a good steal on it and love it!!! I am just not satisfied with the gloves I bought from Cabelas... The jacket is the one I am wearing in my Avatar now. I would never give that jacket up ;) I guess Cabelas just made some poor quality gloves. What kind of Fleece jacket do you have. I might have to look into getting myself one as well... :lol:

HSfish, Sorry for hijacking your thread...

I think it would be a great idea to have a Clothing Forum as when we find something good or bad, we can post about it to watch out for eachother so we don't get ripped off or are not satisfied... I have wasted money on clothing for fishing that I do regret purchasing, Even some hunting jackets as well :oops: ... What you guys think...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, don't worry 'bout it WrenchingnFishing. I agree with you on the clothing forum too, and I am actually surprised that the Cabela's brand name clothes are quality. I've looked at their catalogs, and I have been tempted to buy some pretty good looking stuff on there. I'm afraid though that it's gonna have the same quality as some bass pro cranks that I once bought. BTW- those things sucked.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Dave,
This is the fleece jacket I bought.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

The windshear really works. I had the uber-popular North Face Denali and this Cabela's jacket is warmer and sturdier. If you look at reviews, everybody raves about it. I bought it just as a fall coat but I think I'll be wearing it as a layer when ice fishing or during early spring fishing.

And I'd be all over the clothing forum too!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks Paul, That looks like it would be a durable jacket with the Nylon shoulders. I am going to check out that Jacket when I go to Cabelas sometime this week... It might be something I would wear over my under armor and under one of my hunting jackets... I appreciate the info.

Thanks again Paul.

HSfish, Yea, im not a fan of Bass Pro Cranks myself either... :lol: Now im busy scanning through some clothing on Cabela's Website! :D

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have some fingerless neoprene ones from Orvis I use
but the wool fingerless ones are more comfy.
I also tried the ones that allow the heat pack on the top of the hand.
Too bulky.

Icefishing i get my body warm and wind up working without gloves.
Then just use cotton/synthetic to warm up.

When really cold I drop the gloves to work but use mittons with a heat pack in the end.

No..
Its too early to talk icefishing.

:x

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.