Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im leaving in two weeks to go fishing in Canada on Lake St. Joseph Old Post Village. In Northern Ontario. Its like an 18hr drive. I will be fishing for Walleye and Pike. Im stocking up on tackle specifically for Walleye and Pike. I was at BPS in Gurnee Yesterday and i bought a St. Croix 7'0 MF Spinning rod. AS term of baits i will be using

Walleye- 1/4oz jig head with 4" White Mister Twister, GULP Alive Leeches and GULP Aive Minnows.

Northern Pike- 1oz Spoons Daredevils and Little Cleos, Swim baits, steal leader.

Now the lake has a no barb policy so i have to get all new stuff, all i need now are some swim baits.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT ELSE I SCHOULD BE GETTING, WHAT SWIM BAITS DO YOU SUGGEST, ANYTHING FOR WALLEYE OR PIKE I SCHOULD TRY. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You are right on with the walleye. Bring jigs!

As for the pike, I would go with big bulky spinnerbaits, 8" jointed floating rapalas (pike pattern is the best), and some huge poppers. They are not at all shy in Canada, so dont be afraid to try new things. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not so sure about topwater ice out happened last week the air temp is all different yesterday it was 20 degrees and today its 60 degrees so..... ill try a spinner bait

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Doesn't matter dude! They are out of comtrol up there. Remember that pike often spawn under the ice, so they may be very very active already. Make sure you topwater some shallow bays and anywhere a stream runs in or out. You will not be dissapointed.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Last time up my wife and I had a blast throwing X-Raps. In general Canadian fish are just plain country dumb, so don't be afraid to try anything. We also have alot of fun throwing Johnson Silver Minnows tipped with a large grub so they stay near the top of the water. Bulging them just under the surface might get you topwater like strikes if the water is cool. We are usually up there (16 hour drive) the first week of June so I would think you will be hitting it right on the head for water temps. Like 2GE's said, concentrate on shallow bays or outlets. Early in the season the fish stack up on these spots.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When I go to Canada we use 3/8 oz. jigs the most. But we fish in a river system and at times might be fishing below a water fall where the water is moving pretty fast. Like the others have said, the fish up there will go after anything. And as far as barbless hooks go, just pinch the barbs down on your lures with a pliers. :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Will be up in Canada in 4 weeks for the second trip in a row. Last year we were using 1/8 oz jigs tipped with minnows. We also use "weapons" they are worm harnesses with only one hook. You can tip those with minnows or worms.

Ofcourse you also have your rapalas and other crankbaits to use.

I would just make sure you have plenty of jigs in all weights. Once your up there there ain't no dicks-cabelas-bass pro- or walmarts at easy reach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.