Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing in the saltwater bays and flats on the Gulf just north of Corpus Christi Texas has been somewhat spotty with the cold fronts coming in every 3-4 days. The term cold front is relative to the location. It may get down to 55 to 60 degrees, with average temp about 70-80 degrees. Was out today, 1/9/09, fishing in approx. 3 feet of water. Fishing for Speckled sea trout, and Redfish. Landed a 19 3/4 Redfish and had to release it, 1/4 inch too small. The next one was a keeper at 27 7/8 inches (picture). A fabulous fight on light spinning gear with 8lb fireline, using shrimp looking artificial bait on a 1/8 ounce jig head. Have been catching Speckled sea trout, it's like a fresh water speckled trout only salt water. These fish have been running in the 14" to 23" range. (have to be 15" to be legal.) Most of the legal fish end up in a fish fry here at the campground. Fishing in shorts and a t-shirt are rough to take this time of year. Especially with the weather I've been reading that you are having up north. Hope to see some of you again this year.

·
Registered
597 Posts
jollyroger0444 said:
Fishing in the saltwater bays and flats on the Gulf just north of Corpus Christi Texas has been somewhat spotty with the cold fronts coming in every 3-4 days. The term cold front is relative to the location. It may get down to 55 to 60 degrees, with average temp about 70-80 degrees. Was out today, 1/9/09, fishing in approx. 3 feet of water. Fishing for Speckled sea trout, and Redfish. Landed a 19 3/4 Redfish and had to release it, 1/4 inch too small. The next one was a keeper at 27 7/8 inches (picture). A fabulous fight on light spinning gear with 8lb fireline, using shrimp looking artificial bait on a 1/8 ounce jig head. Have been catching Speckled sea trout, it's like a fresh water speckled trout only salt water. These fish have been running in the 14" to 23" range. (have to be 15" to be legal.) Most of the legal fish end up in a fish fry here at the campground. Fishing in shorts and a t-shirt are rough to take this time of year. Especially with the weather I've been reading that you are having up north. Hope to see some of you again this year.
so ur from texas and ohio

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's about time you get a post up. Haven't heard anything from down south all winter. :roll: I know if you didn't break your boat you would have been out more . :lol: Good to see ya getting out and having some fun. Looking forward to you guys coming up in the spring. We'll have to get out and see what we can catch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry the picture didn't show, I was told the file was too big. Actually, From Illinois, just retired and summer on Lake Erie in Ohio, and winter in Rockport Texas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.