Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm fairly new to fishing trying out a few spots between Sycamore and Genoa. I found the sand bar near my house by the church at the intersection of Bethany and First and there was some honking fish. Now that the river is higher, what kind of baits do you all recommend for catching carp, and the bass that are in there? I have caught on to fishing against the current and had a few pointers from a guy I met when we were setting kayaks in which helped, I'm catching the small bluegills and I've had some channel catfish and a few bass but nothing to call home about. Any help is appreciated!

I kayak and then get out and sit in the river in certain spots just for some extra information.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The baits you use for carp and bass are radically different, If you want to catch Bass.

Busse has tons of carp, and yet I’ve only caught a few carp, accidental on Bass lures.

Never fished the Kish but, pass it on the way to Rockford or Janesville.( and I stayed in a Holiday inn express)

Joe's right, Skifish, Has the skinny on the Kish. Good reading!

Reads like your starting to figure it out already

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Cover water when low with waders. Simple 4 inch paddle tails in various colors are good to toss. With cool weather approaching and starting again in spring suspending jerk baits are good in natural and flashy colors. Fish them slow with twitches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts