Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
AspiringAngler said:
Do they often check fishing licenses?

And if so, can you buy them while at the lake?

Lake Heidecke, that is.
Just get one online at the DNR.com. $12.00 is much better than a $75.00
ticket :evil:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I second what bass caster said. However, I always wondered where the money that you pay towards a fishing license really goes. We pay all this money for licenses and who knows if it actually goes back into preserving Illinois' fisheries. I have a suspicion it goes towards general maintenance of state run lands (forest preserves, parks, etc).

So my point is, bikers and other people recreating don't have to pay to use the trails, why should we pay to support their leisure? I think the money we pay for licenses, or a good portion of it, should go straight back into improving fisheries.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
edmundohillary said:
However, I always wondered where the money that you pay towards a fishing license really goes..
I wonder where all the "Ticket money" goes. It's a huge difference.. $12.00 vs. $75.00. (per violation)

So you can have "a valid fishing licence" and get a 75.00 ticket for not
having a Fire Extinguisher or a battery cover, sounding device???

Where does that money go?

I guess the best way "to play" is play by the rules and make sure your within the rules.....

Have a valid (has to be "in the green zone" on the meter or your get a ticket even if you have a fire extinguisher )

Fire Extinguishers
Battery cover/Box
and a good sounding device

Then when they pull you over ......enjoy the fact that your playing the game to the rules that they have set out :lol:

(Learned my lesson last year...lol ...but where did my $75.00 go????)

I don't think they stocked Deep Lake with my cash :roll:

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Having had my boat pulled over several times in WI, I learned it was best to play by the rules. I have never gotten a ticket on the water and did not want to start with one last weekend at Deep. Who knows where the money goes? My guess would be not where we would want it. It probably pays for the fuel for Blago's private jet :wink:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
FishinMatt said:
I have never gotten a ticket on the water and did not want to start with one last weekend at Deep.
Lucky !!!!!! :wink:

Just a reminder that we all have to play by the DNR rules.. They are there
for a reason...If your motor catches on fire or like Big Al your battery goes up in flames..we still ALL have to walk away safe......so the fine is just a reminder/slap on the head to "play it safe" whenever your out on the water... protect yourself when you sometimes get lazy

ya never know when the big fish will bite or when your motor will blow up in your face. :oops: Just have to have the right tools on board to combat the problem that (though very low odds) may happen... and even if it does just once in your life time (and you never know who will be on board)at least you have the tools to 'try' to correct the situation in that given moment...... :lol:

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Topwater said:
Question: my battery is under a casting deck (home made that covers the space in front of the front bench seat). Do I need a redundant battery cover?
The rule is "Exposed terminals" so i would say not

·
Registered
826 Posts
Topwater said:
Question: my battery is under a casting deck (home made that covers the space in front of the front bench seat). Do I need a redundant battery cover?
You don't necessarily need a box but you need the terminals covered and you need the battery secure from sliding. They make mountable battery trays with straps in order to secure the battery. I had a boat like your's and I just mounted a battery box to the front of the bow. Worked like a charm.

In this case, the word exposed terminals means accessible terminals and it doesn't matter if it is in a compartment or sitting on the floor of the boat. The reason the terminals need to be covered is so something cannot hit both terminals and cause a short. Good fishing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
West Marine sells rubber covers for both the positive and negative terminals. I have them on my batteries that are mounted in my boat. There isn't enough room for a battery box covers. So far every time I have been checked the battery terminals have passed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks guys. The battery is secured, but I guess the terminals are exposed, or at least not 'properly' covered. Not trying to find a loophole, just trying to avoid getting a fine.

Are fire extinguishers req'd in Illinois and/or Wisconsin (other than Lake Cty)?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Topwater said:
Are fire extinguishers req'd in Illinois and/or Wisconsin (other than Lake Cty)?
Yes. You need it for anywhere in IL. I had forgotten this one. I thought it was only if you had enclosed compartments. I received a $75 notification so I wouldn't forget in the future! :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.