Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather was cold 23, light winds, Cloudy, from 7:30 to 10:30

After our traditional breakfast at Elly's Pandcake House Augy and I headed out for a shot at the WWD. I had 2 nice bass on and lost them both :cry: Augy caught some dinks. The blue gills were ripping the worms apart as soon as they hit the water. The bass were there and going for the worms but the dam bluegills were just faster. The water level was very very low.

Always nice to get out :lol: Even in December

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sorry I could`nt make it guys,just too much stuff to do at home that I have neglected during the warm months lol
Kids were also counting on me to get the x-mas decorations up :)

let it snow,let it snow ,let it snow.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Wow it's WWD time already? :lol: Actually Culprit told me you guys were going, but I had to work. :x Better luck next time out there. :)

553 Posts
When it snows and it's this cold, I just cannot find any pleasure in fishing. I haven't been out for a long time now, mainly because of the cold. Anyways I'm pretty sure that the next three months will fly by really quick and before you know it we'll all be out again in full force. At least now we can catch up on things that we neglected for fishing. :lol: Nice job and thanks for reporting. :D :wink:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the report Mike, I'll be there early tomorrow morning to try my luck. Was Augy using a prototype of the new hook?

Philosopher in Meditation said:
When it snows and it's this cold, I just cannot find any pleasure in fishing.
I honestly love fishing in the snow, no bugs and no sunburn!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck tomorrow. Last saturday I got there at 8:15am and it was unbarably crowded by 9:15am.

OP, sucks you got skunked. Was there an ass ton of people there?

I went the day after thanksgiving and caught at least 25 fish between my dad and myself. Literally, we put the hook in the water and would have a fish. Mostly bluegills and sunfish but we got a few very decent bass as well. All on worms by the way.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Augy and I and just 1 other guy were the only ones there all day :shock:

With the bad weather today it should be empty Sunday :lol:

oh ya .....mission #1 is to replace "The Stump"

See ya in the AM Sean

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigrain said:
Basscaster and Augy are so brave, in so cold and snowing weather.
NO GUTS.... NO GLORY..... LOL
(but bring the hand warmers)

Snow Bass are fun to catch :lol: :lol: :lol:

wwd ......1/27/07, a balmy 8 degrees out @ 7am

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Stump is gone?!?

time to find some cinderblocks.
They just cut down some massive trees at the Salt Creek..we just need to "Roll" one chunk in ....hehe

but I do have a few cinderblocks/weighted stumps if all else fails :shock:

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
WWD time already? It sure seems like it. You guys got out during the best part of the day. Ya know... I thinks some of the dams on the DPR will also provide some open water fishing during the winter months.

·
Banned
655 Posts
BassCaster said:
They just cut down some massive trees at the Salt Creek..we just need to "Roll" one chunk in ....hehe
In most cases, altering the terrain of a river is illegal. Since a river is state-owned, why would it be proper for the FP district to remove trees and habitat from the river? Last time I checked, they own the land along the creek - not the land nor terrain that is inside of the creek.

If it's a log-jam, it's understandable and the Salt Creek Watershed Network and myself (I belong with them) have been advocates of log jam removal at this 'flow, but removing submerged trees or anything that can acts as cover and habitat for the fish doesn't justify anything. There's a massive jam over at Bemis Woods north in Western Springs... Bocks off the entire width of the creek and because of this jam, a small footbridge became dilapidated and now it acts as a buffer which stores and keeps on piling up the brush, crap and logs. Wh not remove this or something that's similar.

This crap happens all the time down by me. Some of the stretches I fish are on FP land... If there's a big tree in the water and even if it isn't blocking off the entire width of the creek, it gets removed. It's not like it makes the water quality nor the stream any healthier.. Nor does it make the fishing better.. If it hampers someone's shoreline access, go somewhere else! Pisses me off!!!! :evil:

Sorry for the rant.... :lol: Can I join you guys sometime with pushing in new logs?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
the fish are definitely starting to move in. i swung by two weeks before to check it out and there was nothing but a handful of teeny weeny pannies and even smaller dink bass. biggest bass i spotted was around 13-14 inches today. it's only going to get better.

them pannies were hungry alright! phew! we went thru 6 dozen worms in a jiffy.

i'm bassin in december! got no complaints here! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First off , It was one small log/stump not many !!!!!

Andrew_R said:
Sorry for the rant.... :lol: Can I join you guys sometime with pushing in new logs?
:roll:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.