Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out Sunny, 70's light wind..fished from 5:30pm to 6:08pm

at 6:09 I was running for the car. (ok I casted one last time in the south pool as the rain fell...hard)...Big storm raced through.
then I saw one of these on the way home

Caught 1 Bass

it's a bluegill with odd brown colors

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bad started at 5:30pm ..It was like a bluegill with smallmouth brown colors. I had to look at it 3 times. I thought i had a smallie:)

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
Last weekend I had some chasing and striking 3/4 ounce spinnerbaits bigger then them. When they nest, they will try to kill anything that gets close to it, regardless of size. Beautifully marked fish.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Besides their distinctive spotted patterns, warmouths can be easily identified and distringuished from other panfish or sunfish by their proportionally large mouths. Other panfish of the same weight will have mouths 2-3 times smaller than that of the warmouth, who's oral proportions are in line with those of largemouth/black bass.

Yup that's why I thought it maybe a smallie(Thanks for the info)...the mouth was to big to be a bluegill but it still had the blue gill markings...(dang ...though I got a smallie.).Warmouth it's was 8) ...sure fought well :lol:

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thoughs about fishing the rocky waters of Belleau.

I have lost many a lure in the rocks at Belleau :twisted: ...but belleau is all about the rocks and the clear water.

I started out fishing a night crawler with a weight. (the classic WWD rig)Got caught 2 times in the rocks and had to snap the line. I decided to go old school...up the hook size to a 1/0 hook under a 'very' small bobber. pitched it out 15 feet..this time of year they are going to be up close where the water is wam..and they need to feed before the spawn(line control type method...not in the mood for a birds nest with the wind and rain coming) and bring it back in to the the rock line...worm 10 inches below the bobber to just keep it above the the rocks ....all on a bait casting rig.

I know the guy that past me (with like 8 rods)must of thought ..WTF..is this fool doing with a bobber on a bait caster....I was catching fish and he was not....and not for the bad weather.. I knew i was on a good bite......

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Cool fish Mike. I always forget that there are suppose to be small mouth in belleau. I'll have to stop by and give that lake a try sometime soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.