Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished axehead lake from 7:30-8:30 useing nightcrawlers.
Pretty nice evening to be out with my dad. Basically got the skunk but i picked up a couple
of gills little guys. A couple other anglers out there to but didnt see anyone catch anything.
As soon as it got around 8:30 i saw a couple bass. Are there any hidden spots that hold fish?

Good fishing..
FISHING4LIFE :)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I don't fish axehead but heard it can be tough for fishing bass.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
535 Posts
In my experience this lake is only decent very early in the morning, or at the end of the day. The bass will eat your finesse presentations at these times, but quite frankly this lake isn't really worth devoting alot of time to. I'm sure there are a few good-sized fish in here, but I can't recall catching anything really impressive myself. I know a guy from a bar I go to who told me he caught a 39 inch Pike out of Axehead on half of a bluegill fished on the bottom. Who knows, maybe with enough attention you could find a really good pattern for this lake. I would suggest a soft plastic jerk shad on a light wire bass hook fished weightless and jerked back to shore to imitate a baitfish. I have caught a bunch of small bass at the end of the day doing this at Axehead.

Good luck fishing this weekend everybody!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yeah early morning or dusk i would say. seems like when i have been skunked there it has been afternoon. use small plastics. and yeah, there are some decent fish in there. i've seen 16" bass caught there. and some others that size swimming around. saw a ENORMOUS carp out there last time. don't know it to be much of a carpin' zone though. but if you wanna catch some 12" bass just stay consistent in the weeds and you'll get em.

B

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Today i fished it again and got a little 8 inch guy off a crawler. I got so many big bass bites but i couldnt set it. I was going to throw a senko but i cant freaken t rigg it with my size 3/0
hook god! well still fun to get my first bass of the year! What size hook does everyone use?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
FISHING4LIFE said:
Today i fished it again and got a little 8 inch guy off a crawler. I got so many big bass bites but i couldnt set it. I was going to throw a senko but i cant freaken t rigg it with my size 3/0
hook god! well still fun to get my first bass of the year! What size hook does everyone use?
I like to use a 3/0 or sometimes a 4/0 Gamakatsu Wide Gap finesse work hook when throwing 5inch senko's.

Are you having a problem rigging it? Or just using the wrong style hook to where it will not let your senko sit straight. You can also use circle hooks and such if wacky rigging the senko.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It might be that when you insert the shank of the hook to the middle of the Senko after going through the top. You may not be giving enough slack in the worm before the insert. If you can get on Youtube. Try to search "Rigging a Senko" or Hooking a Senko, etc... There are many videos on it. Otherwise if not I can take some pics with my phone in a step by step process and post them for ya. Let me know if I can help ya in any other ways.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
na no need to do that.I see what you mean with the slack liek give it a little bend then insert it.

but thanks for the offer! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.