Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunny, temps in lower 90's after record high of 99 today, wsw winds 10-15mph, fished from 6:50pm-8pm.

Used the trusty 3" slug-go's and caught 5 largemouth from 5"-11". The 11 incher shot straight out of the water upon the hook set. Also threw a Heedon Teeny Torpedo surface lure with no results. One other angler reported catching a turtle.

As I was leaving I saw a bright colored "sign" kinda stuck to the main info sign. The sign indicated that the lake had undergone weed-control TODAY and to not drink or consume the water for a week. :shock:

It was a real goofy sign and the original date of May something was scratched out and July 31st written in pencil. This does not surprise me though, seeing as this was the same stupid-ass way they "alerted" us to the delay in spring trout season. The sign said they used REWARD and AQUATHOL K to control shoreline weeds for the benefit of fishing.

I personally hate this. It is those very weeds that are allowing the fantastic reproduction of largemouth bass and gives them some much needed habitat. Regardless, what's done is done.

Here are some links to info on both those weed control chemicals:

http://www.aquaweed.com/aquathol.htm
http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/vm/prod/rewardLS/

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I haven't been to Axehead since the spring trout season. How has the weed growth been?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice job Jason !

That really sux about those chemicals.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok, I know this isn't the point, but how in the heck could you stand wearing a vest tonight?????? Are you nuts? :lol: I gotta get over there and try the sluggos. Any particularly good spots to hit without a lot of moving around? I kinda like to get to know an area and then move out from there....

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow that sucks i kinda liked working the weeds runing the lure on top and letting it fall in the pockets it was a good learning experence for me (noobie to shoreline fishing) i have gotten a few hits doing this
on a side note Jason have you had any luck with the 5"sluggos?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What vest?? Oh... you must have been seeing my full-torso tattoo that looks like a real vest. Ha ha - fooled everyone! :roll:

Ok, really, it's a space-age vest with a flux-capacitor and an advanced cooling system. 8)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
weeds is good ~ does axehead get that many weeds that it would need to be sprayed anyway? Are they slop algae or are they good weeds? I wish they would hire knowledgeable people in these positions. Too many no minds that knew somebody have control over this stuff. JMHO

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
JasonN said:
it's a space-age vest with a flux-capacitor and an advanced cooling system. 8)
not a bad idea. a vest with cooling system. hmmm. to the drawing boards. :idea:

·
Registered
702 Posts
but the actors look so comfortable :lol: actually, I saw a guy the other day with an umbrella hat like Ray Reiner used to have :lol: It is probably a very good idea for being out ina boat or the sun for very long!

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The weeds at Axehead are not slop at all. They are excellent weedbeds that lay about a foot under the surface, start about a foot or so off the shoreline and extend for several feet towards the steep slopes. In the shallower south bay they extend more to the middle. But again - these are/were GREAT WEEDS! Just because the stupid ass buckethead fishermen and weekend anglers with their Zebco 202's get their worm and bobber rigs stuck on the weeds, is not reason to kill them off (the weeds of course).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts