Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps low 80's no wind 6:30pm to 8:15pm

Man the fishing at Aexhead is gotten very tough.(temps a bit lower?) With the weeds all but gone. The water was calm so started with a top waters pop-r and jitter bugs. Not a bite. I decided to try something different. I Carolina rigged different color senks and casted as far out as I could.....finally landed 1 bass 8" way out. Hit it just after the first twitch.
I spoke with some other guys and they said that the Aexhaed bite has gone cold for them as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report. It looks like its time for you to find a new venue.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True doc..but it's 2 min from my house.it's just a shame they had to kill off all the weeds. Going to head up to Deep lake this weekend and next weekend it's off to a private lake in michigan.(Father inlaws 70 b-day)
big bass and pike in that lake.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Argh!

Well... next week when i'm back from vacation, i'm gonna hit Axehead and see what the deal is. I really got on a good pattern last year and this year with the 3" Slug-go's, but that was because of the presence of weeds. And it was learning that technique that helped me on other waters with similar techniques and baits. So now it may be time to adjust. After all, fishing is all about - adjusting.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason the weeds that were there in July are now 80/90% gone. I would try the east side in the deep channel but you have to add some weight to get it out far enough. they must have retreated to the deeper parts b/c there are not even any bait fish close to shore anymore :cry: I'll still go there to figure it out also. If they let the weeds grow it would be like Deep Lake is on the section south of the point .......... LOTS of cover :lol: . but it's all gone now. The water level is also a lot lower

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Its a shame to see that they went to this extreme with reducing the weed growth. I hope that this doesn't have a huge effect on the long-term fish population.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
BassCaster, I totally understand that you are close to Axehead. That is the main reason that I fish the Glen, since I live less than 5 minutes away from it. Convenience is a big factor when you want to go fishing. It doesn't make much sense to spend an hour in the car to get to a fishing destination if you have a good option that close to your home.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's why I fish Opeka, its sooooo close and does have decent fish. Fortunately they haven't done any weed kills to my knowledge. hopefully i will get to bigger waters this fall but the temptation to drive 60 seconds and fish is tough to overcome :D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maybe they do set the weeds back to slow the fishing down? let the tiny ones grow up to Aexhead size bass... :lol: ....distance to travel to fish is key but I think there are 5 or so lakes with in 15 min of Axehead and i do like to try them all. Hey at least we have a few choices...ya have to tip your hat to that.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Very true Mike we do have choices.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went out for 20 mins on Saturday (I hit like 4 lakes this weekend because I was pumped up about my new rod/reel). I tossed out some dingers and didn't even get a nibble. I did see some stray trout or perch over by the east parking lot but I spooked em throwing a jig out there. Like Belleau, I'm thinking about putting the banjo minnows I got for my birthday to use by rigging them on a drop shot and going deep.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
RobBull said:
I went out for 20 mins on Saturday (I hit like 4 lakes this weekend because I was pumped up about my new rod/reel). I tossed out some dingers and didn't even get a nibble. I did see some stray trout or perch over by the east parking lot but I spooked em throwing a jig out there. Like Belleau, I'm thinking about putting the banjo minnows I got for my birthday to use by rigging them on a drop shot and going deep.
That sounds like a good plan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts